QuickDesigner 3.7 Download Problems

jtteresinski

I am new to the QuickDesigner software, but have some experience with panelbuilder and panansonic.

Trying to download a application to a proface unit with the C49 cable (thru a usb - serial converter). Before you ask, Linx is not running.

Keep receiving message to turn unit off, then on, then off, then on...doesn't seem as software recognizes the hardware.

I have gone into the "courier.ini" and changed the baud to 9600.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks

Back to basics: What comm port did the USB to Serial converter take and what port are you tring to downlad thru. Most software will try comm 1 first. USB to serial converters usually don't grab comm 1. That can be changed thought. WAG

I had the same problem with the Quick Designer software. The only way I found to work around it was to use a "hardware" type serial port. No matter what I did the USB to serial converter would not work. Hopefully you have an old laptop with one, or if it is possible to move the screen near a desktop computer.

On a quick side note - I only had one USB to serial converter available to me at the time. It was one I picked up at Best Buy - the Dynex brand. A complete waste of money. I bought a Belkin one at Staples and every problem I've had with the Dynex one was solved by the Belkin. I haven't tried it with a Quick Panel, but if the other options aren't possible, it's worth the $30 to try. Let us know how it goes.

This is not a good idea to use USB-to-serial converter to download anything with QuickDesigner: this is, after all, a pretty old 16-bit Windows application that hasn't changed much in the last 10 years or so. It is very picky to timing and interrupts on the serial port and it does not like any serial port-emulating programs - especally when running on a 32-bit version of Windows.

Ideally, if the Pro-face touchscreen has an Ethernet port on it, you should just go Ethernet. Another option is to spend about $150 for a PCMCIA serial card, like Socket I/O brand or a similar one.

If all you do is maintenance, that would be sufficient. If you are building new systems, consider switching to new software, like Pro-face GP-Pro. Unfortunately, there is no conversion program for the old QuickDesigner apps; you would have to recreate them from scratch.