I need your help/ideas, please read! everyone

geniusintraining

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi guys…

I need help, I was talking to a friend of mine that is a dog trainer, he does several types of training obedience, protection (bite), police, Schutzhund and now he has just started doing service/therapy.

The therapy dogs are for seizures, in children and adults the dogs do several things

Just before or during the seizure the persons body scent changes and the dogs can detect this, similar to a chemical imbalance in the body, but the dogs can smell the chemicals that our bodies put off.

The other thing is that the dogs are trained to alert when this is happening, they will bark, run, get someone, do what ever they are trained to do.

Here is my part, I am going to make 3 pieces
The first will be a annunciator, if the person is having an attack, the dog will be trained to push a mushroom button on a station, this button will have a phone dialer and call for help also sound a audible alarm, page a pager, etc. this is easy I can handle this.

The second part (short story first)
My friend and one of his clients (a young boy) were in a restaurant having lunch…after lunch the boy asked him if he would watch his dog for a minute while he went to the bathroom, so the boy went into the bathroom and while he was in there he had a seizure, the boy ended up fine, but every minute can make a world of difference.

So what my friend wants/needs is something that the child could have on their waist, and send a wireless tone to alert the dog, they have training collars for dogs, this may be the way to go but I would like to look at all and any ideas.

The third part is also wireless, the child (or dog) would push the button on the child’s waits and it would send a signal to the annunciator, anyone have any wireless info? I have none nor any experience. The longer the range the better, my thoughts would be if they are outside playing and the receiver inside connected to the phone, I need to do a very strong wireless signal to the enclosure and it needs to be small (the sender) the receiver can be bigger.

Also it needs to be cheep, we would be doing this at cost, some of the families/clients just need the help and can not afford it. So we want to keep it reasonable.

I am also excited about the fact that something that I may make (help make) will help someone…how cool would that be, I can make machinery move, but to help someone...

Many thanks,
Mark

Last edited:
Mark,
Sorry I don't have any experience in wireless devices. But this sounds like a really cool project. And hats off to you for doing something good for the kids.

I have used a variety of garage door opener buttons and aftermarket slave relays, and also remote door bell buttons and remote 1-way and 3-way switch for some litght duty industrial and security applications. Generally, I got these from Menards, so Lowes and home Depot may have them also.

Back in the day, I had a pretty good supply of Motorola remote transmitters and recievers, but then also an unlimited governmental budget. A lot of that stuph has been showing up on eBay the last 5 years, as boxes of unused junque gets auctioned off, or just plain thrown out. Might be enough out there to keep you stocked for years. I've seen some $2,500.00 units go for under $5.00.

regards.....kc

I had one of these dogs, a reject from the trainers. The problem was she was well trained but not well disaplined. I eventually had to padlock the fridge and kitchen cabnets etc, and put a double keyed deadbolt on all the entry doors to keep her in the house. Great dog otherwise... She once woke me up and alerted me to a fire 5 houses away. I was pounding on their door well before their smoke detectors went off.

Regarding Part 1, Viking Electronics K 202 DVA
Link: http://www.vikingelectronics.com/products/view_product.php?pid=418

Regarding Part 2, The lesson should be learned; THE DOG ALWAYS STAYS WITH THE KID!!

Regarding Part 3, At work we use a Genie Rolling Code remote to open the parking lot gate & turn on/off the alarm. The remotes have up to 3 buttons. You can program multible controllers placed at various locations on the same site to recognize the same button on up to 6 remotes. Got them at Home Depot. Cheap, but not 100% reliable. Sometimes, but not often, it takes two or three presses of the button to activate the controllers. If you go this way the relay contacts on the controller can be wired into the Viking alarm dialer.

Regarding

Regarding Part 2, The lesson should be learned; THE DOG ALWAYS STAYS WITH THE KID!!

This is not the dogs fault, the person (whether child or adult), also has to be trained to keep the dog close. Why have the dog if not ALWAYS, I reiterate, ALWAYS there by the persons side?

What happens once the dog is alerted?

With the available of cheap cell phones, could the child carry one with a speed dial capability? Call a hospital, a friend, and/or even a receiver on the dog.

If the idea makes sense, I am sure that a cell phone company or a local charity group could be convinced to cover the hardware cost. The latest cell phones now have built-in GPS.

LINX Technologies is a good place to start. Look at their MS Keyfobs.
They can supply chips for your design, all the way up to a turnkey solution.
The next level is GPS location. The cell phone idea may be the best way to do this. Setup a call center. Program the call center's number into speed dial on the phone. The phone will send GPS location, and caller ID. The call center can decide what to do next.

Another interesting service is continuous cell phone tracking. Check out AccuTracking. You may be able to incorporate this into you system.

seems like I read somewhere (about a year ago?) that the radio frequency rules are going to be changed ... something was mentioned about radio transmissions from aircraft will now be close enough to the garage door opener frequencies to start causing weird operation ... seems like this was an article on the CBS News website or something like that ...

sorry I don't remember anything more specific ... but my point is that whatever route you take, try to make sure that some new "frequency spectrum" ruling isn't going to send you right back to the drawing board ... just guessing: you might pick up a lot of "surplus" garage door opener stuff real cheap - only to find out that the new regulations make it unusable for your purposes ...

and of course there's the distinct possibility that I misunderstood what I was reading ... maybe this is a total non-issue ... anyway - a little bit of research along these lines might be a good idea ...

good luck with your project ...

Ron Beaufort said:
seems like I read somewhere (about a year ago?) that the radio frequency rules are going to be changed ... something was mentioned about radio transmissions from aircraft will now be close enough to the garage door opener frequencies to start causing weird operation ... seems like this was an article on the CBS News website or something like that ...

sorry I don't remember anything more specific ... but my point is that whatever route you take, try to make sure that some new "frequency spectrum" ruling isn't going to send you right back to the drawing board ... just guessing: you might pick up a lot of "surplus" garage door opener stuff real cheap - only to find out that the new regulations make it unusable for your purposes ...

and of course there's the distinct possibility that I misunderstood what I was reading ... maybe this is a total non-issue ... anyway - a little bit of research along these lines might be a good idea ...

good luck with your project ...

I grabbed a couple of surplus door openers from '03 and tried them in a new door last year ang couldn't get them to work. I went to the home center and found out they had changed the frequency.

The '03 openers wouldn't work in the doors from 2000, which wouldn't work in the openers from '96.

My son has a universal opener that has 32 dip switches and 3 set buttons that does ALL frequencies and rolling codes. That is getting a little TOO complicated.

I installed my first garage door opener when I was 14, in 1965.

The car unit was a Class C CB radio, with a 46" base loaded roof mount antenna. The radio was the commercial version model 215 Special) of a Johnson Messenger One, except the receive section was missing, it put out 25 watts of AM modulated a continuous tone of something like 1600cps. There was a push button and a power and transmit light on the front. It probably had a range of 10-20 miles. There was no michrophone.

The receiver was the house version of the Johnson CB, no volume or squelch or speaker, no transmitter or mic. A 9 foot ground plane was mounted on the garage roof. A tone sensitive relay closed went the proper tone was received and triggered the operator motor. There was no remote indication if the door was open or closed. So if the button was pushed across town, the door may or may not have been actuated.

Just a toy for someone with more money then brains. He did own thw busiest tavern in town and the ONLY package liqour store for 20 miles or more!

rsdoran said:
This is not the dogs fault, the person (whether child or adult), also has to be trained to keep the dog close. Why have the dog if not ALWAYS, I reiterate, ALWAYS there by the persons side?

Agree, in this case, the trainer was doing just that…the boy had the dog for just a short time and they were (all three) still in training, but yes a good lesson was learned

Paulcs said:
What happens once the dog is alerted?

What ever its trained to do, they will bark, get help, shepards (what he trains, most of the time) have a very good bark for alerting someone, its very fast and loud

elevmike, I have several Vikings and yes this is what I would be using

Also got a very good PM that I am looking into

Thanks to everyone for the help,

EDIT: Keith Thanks for the link (very cool)

Last edited:
Your idea

Years ago I manufactured a wireless fire alarm system for sawmills. The unit was designed to assist in fire watch after welding operations. Long story short I had a wireless receiver for the night watchman to wear. I think I still have one of the units in the shop. It had a decent range, but cannot remember exactly how far. I'll dig it out and send the name of the company who built it.
Good luck with this, new projects help stave off disease, but may cause divorce.