Controller's terminology

mikas_m

Hello to all,
I have been reading one article about control loops (general) and I found an interesting term: "step controller". In the same article also term continuos controller is used to describe controller which is used when continuos manipulated variable is used for activation of final control element. The term "step controller" is pretty much new to me. I know for discrete and continuous controllers, but maybe, this term is used to describe controller whose output is variable that is changed in predefined "steps", for example 0, 10, 20 .... 100%, but I'm not sure. Are you familiar with this term?
Thank you in advance!

"Step controller" is an ambiguous term that can mean more than one thing. I have identified at least 3 types of "step controllers".

1. For example a step controller can refer to this type of switch, where an input causes an output to change in discrete increments, or steps:
http://www.europe.honeywell.com/20-20-40_products_pack_step.html

2. A step controller can refer to the type of controller used to control a stepping motor, a motor that moves in increments or steps:
http://www.ams2000.com/

3. A step controller can be an electronic device, either a step-down or step-up controller, where the input voltage is either decreased (step-down), or increased (step-up):
http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/504246

Step controller is used to control technical processes with digital manipulated value output signal.

Continuous controller is used to control technical processes with continuous input and output variables- ie..4-20ma, 0-10vdc, -10vdc to +10vdc, 0-20ma..etc..

JRW said:
Step controller is used to control technical processes with digital manipulated value output signal.
I think you're describing discrete controller. Just to make one thing clear:
I think that there must be a distinction between discrete and digital controller. A discrete controller outputs manipulated variable that can be any value (magnitude), but digital controller can outputs only finitie set of values (magnitudes).
That's why I'm confused with the term step controller.
Thank you Lancie1, obviously unappropriate term is used.

It depends.
Any specific product your working with??
Believe it or not, some terminology varies slightly from manufacturer and country.