Can't get PLC-5/40 to go online

Bergman

Please bear with me here, guys. I'm a novice PLC user awaiting company provided training. In the mean time, I have two older benchtop trainers that I am trying to troubleshoot.

I have a PLC-5/40 processor, an old boat anchor of a laptop running Windows 98, RsLogix 5 (version 6-something), and RSLinx. Our maintenance department has loaned me the correct RS-232 to 9-pin cable, and I believe I have the comms configured correctly (DF1) - I used the automatically configure port option.

Whenever I try to go online or upload the program, I get an "Unknown Processor" from RSLogix. One of our PLC guys looked at this on Friday and wasn't able to get it to work either, so I figured I'd post here.

I appreciate any help!
Bergman

I used the automatically configure port option.
Go back and use RSLinx to set up the port. Once you get communications established between the laptop and the PLC-5, then open RSLogix5.

Then, in RSLogix5, go to "Tools", "Options", "System Communications", and then pick the correct Driver (to use for this program) from the drop-down box.

Last edited:
In rslinx, when you configure it for DF1, did u try the auto-configure option and see if it does indeed see a connection?

Also, in RSLinx, under "Configure Drivers", for the DF1 driver, make sure the Device box is set to "PLC-CH0". I would guess that it is set to "SLC-CH0/Micro/Panelview", which will produce the "Unknown Processor" error.