Adding RIO

bsprowls

I have a PLC5 with two Rio 1794 racks and I am adding a third one. I can not get the active light to come on. Do I have to resart the PLC5 to get it to go active, what else do I have to do? I only want to get the digital input module running first.

Have you added the rack in the channel configuration menu in Logix? You can either manually add it or you can autoconfig where it will go out and find all the racks. I believe you have to be in program mode to do this.

Are the dip switches set properly on your adatper module?

bsprowls said:
I have a PLC5 with two Rio 1794 racks and I am adding a third one. I can not get the active light to come on. Do I have to resart the PLC5 to get it to go active, what else do I have to do? I only want to get the digital input module running first.

Make sure this rack is now LAST RACK , and the former LAST RACK is no longer .

1794asb_1.jpg

No, I have not added it yet in the channel condfig menu. Can you direct me to a publication that will do this or just tell me if it isn't too involved.

It's not too involved just double click on Channel config (under controller in the project tree), click the tab that corresponds to the channel you are using for your RIO, and add it. You need to know the rack address, starting group, and rack size. These are all of the things that you have to configer with the dip switches on the adapter module.

I didn't think that the last rack switch actually affected a PLC5, I thought that was from PLC 2 days, but I could be wrong. Also make sure to move your end of line terminating resistor to the last physical rack of the network (where the blue hose stops)

If you look at the chart on pange 2-9 of the users manual you will see that you have selected this to be rack 5, starting group 0.

Do you really want it to be rack 5 if you only have two other racks? It doesn't really matter but to me it makes more sense to keep them in order. Starting group 0 is OK.

You also need to read up on the hold inputs and hold last state settings on S2 and determine whether or not this is really what you want to do. It depends on your application and how YOU want it to react. S2-6 should be off as this is your last rack although as I said before I'm not sure this matters.

Now that you have installed the resistor on your new rack did you take the resistor off of the old last rack?

Last edited: