Hello everyone. I'm new here and to programming

smoore8

Plcs. I need to copy integer files from 5 different Plcs into one Plc. I'll be communicating thru the ethernet, and the Plc type is Allen-Bradley SLC 5/05. How do I do this?

The good news is that the SLC-5/05 has a Message (MSG) instruction that can send data from one controller to another over Ethernet very easily and fast.

Now, tell us about how fast you need this data, how much data and what format it's in, and whether this is one-way or two-way communication.

If you're totally new to PLCs and to A-B controllers, the most helpful thing you can do is introduce yourself to your local A-B distributor and ask them for a class list and for some recommendations on technical literature.

There are approximately 5-7 files per Plc, I need the data within seconds, and its just one-way communication. What do you mean by format?

Last edited:
As Ken mentioned, the MSG instruction is probably your answer, but more details remain... How large are the data files you are sending?

For that kind of transaction, I generally use a timer on the master to trigger the first MSG-PLC/SLC Typed Write, and then use ".DN OR .ER" bits of the first message to trigger the next, etc, until all are either done or errored out. Then I RES the timer.

Even at 10Mbps with a 5/05, you should be able to transfer a bunch of data in 'seconds', but I wonder... You say 5-7 data files.. Why so many? At most, I could see transferring Bits (Bx: Files), Integers (Nx: Files) and Reals (Fx: Files), that would be only 3 per. Ideally, you could combine all the bits into integers, localize them to comms integers, and only have to transfer Integers and Floats.

Note also: Consider, is it important to 'slave' CPU's 2, 3, 4, and 5 that 'slave" CPU 1 got it's data? If so, then you really need to do a heartbeat as well, which either requires the slave send back data, or the master reads the slave tables as well.