Water Cooled AC Motor?

ndzied1

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello,

I'm looking for a water cooled 20hp AC motor. I have found large (300HP) water colled motors but nothing this small. I have a customer trying to fit a motor into a tight space and he says someone else is proposing this.

Does anyone know of a source for such a thing?

Thanks,

Motors in that hp range designed for chiller duty are often water cooled. I don't have any direct links but maybe someone on here can give you chiller contacts. Otherwise, I guess Google would be the next best.

Electric Apparatus Company in Howell Michigan builds special duty water cooled motors but brace yourself. They are expensive and lead times are out forever!

I would contact Reliance, Marathon, or any of the larger outfits and ask directly. I will just about bet they make them any size that is needed.

Siemens has a line of water-cooled motors, if my scotch-soaked memory (I'm at home after a long day) serves, I seem to think they are in the 1PH7/1PL7 series. Excellent (seriously excellent) motors, if a bit pricy.

-- Edit --

I just tried to find a link on Siemens E&A's yet AGAIN redesigned web site, and got frustrated. Try contacting a Siemens Rep, let them deal with the nonsense :).

Last edited:
Not that I am aware of, but my company does have some systems (designed by Siemens) that have chilled water pumped to the HMI cabinets (NOTE- VERY BAD IDEA).

CaseyK said:
Doesn't Siemens have a line of water cooled PLC's?

Wait, I'm just confused.

I want to hit the S7's with an inch and a half off the local fire truck!

i did a pump motor that was not liquid cooled, however the main bearing in it was, it was a 10 hp pump pushing liquid sugar,(trust me its not easy to push!), it was a nema 4x food grade pump in this config it was off the shelf but as you can figure if its stainless steel it friggin expensive.

D

Siemens offer water cooled synchronous and asynchronous motors in the 20HP range - just thumbed through the Sinamics D21.1 2006 catalogue.

I am curious, is the application in a place where temperatures are real high and no air flow will be avaiable?

A forced vented unit may work just as well, even in tight places, as long as it is possible to draw air. http://www.reliance.com/pdf/data_sheets/raps544.pdf

Over the years I have seen motors in some very harsh environments, tight spots, etc working in close proximity to molten steel etc.

I think I would look at the numbers per se to determine if it needs water cooled then make your proposal. It may be just as easy to run some ductwork to provide external air, with heat exchanger you would have to run water lines etc.

rsdoran said:
I am curious, is the application in a place where temperatures are real high and no air flow will be avaiable

The application is being driven by a space constraint. We had a 10hp servo motor in the applicaiton which is marginal. This customer is not looking at a competitive solution which is a VFD with a 20HP water cooled motor. If I had a 20HP servo to offer I think they'd be happy but our current line maxes out at 10 right now.

I'm thinking if you do it properly, you can get a lot higher power density with water cooling than with forced air cooling and thus a smaller 20hp motor. At least for hydraulic oil coolers, an air/oil unit is much, much larger than the equivalent water/oil unit.

What do you mean by the motor is marginal? Just throwing on a bigger motor is not always the right solution, not to mention its wasteful. As long as you are below the break down torque, most motors can handle significant occasional overloading as long at the overload is not for a long duration.

Does the motor just not deliver enough torque? Does it bog down? Or does the servo drive trip out?

I guess I need to clarify a little. We had a 10hp servo motor in the application for 3 months. The performance was marginal.

When all conditions were right it was running at 60-80% of rated current, however, during startups and shutdowns it could go into i^2t errors. Also, slight process variations could cause overloads.

The application is a milling process (not milling machine but milling a product/substance to make finer particles). This product has a lot of lubricity to it. When the product is running this helps to lubricate the milling rolls. However, to get the process started there is no product and the required torque is much higher. Also, at the end of the run the product runs out and the required torque goes back up. The startup and shutdown segments could be 30 minutes or more so running in the overload of a motor for a few seconds doesn't help me.

There was a DC servo in the application but they are now obsolete and the repair costs are astronomical. However, this means that the space the motor can fit within is fixed.