Mac issues

Disturbed7113

I recently bought a MacBook because I was not happy with Windows based PC's. I also purchased Parallels software and Windows XP Pro to be able to run both OS's at the same time, I could not get completely away from Windows due to my Rockwell software for Allen Bradley and some web development software. I got the OS's running smoothly except for my usb to serial cable that I plug my RS-232 cable into. The Virtual Machine (Windows) reads it but it acts like it can't communicate with it. I have been to several software forums related to this matter and have seen where the USB to serial adapter has been an issue but no one declares whether or not they were trying to talk to PLC's. Has anyone been down this road that may have some advice?

Update

I have one of the new MacBook Pro laptops. I'm running Windows XP Pro on it using Apple's BootCamp Utility. I've been running RSLogix 5000, RSLinx, RSNetworx for ControlNet, and PanelBuilder32 everyday for a few weeks now.

I bought one of the USB to Serial cables from Mr. PLC but I have not tried it yet. All my communications so far have been through an ENBT Module in the ControlLogix Chassis.

If I get a chance later this week, I'll try the USB to Serial and let you know how it goes.

Here is a link for a USB to Serial Converter:

http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb...s/homepage.spml

Searching the Forum yields this helpful topic:

1747-UIC Programming adapter vs RSLinx

Last edited:
Congrats on your new mac. Definately check out Xcode. It comes free with the Mac. Xcode is an IDE that supports ANSI C, C++, Objective C, and Java. Plus all the cool UNIX utilities. It uses the GCC compiler and is a great tool for working with those languages. I think it's located under Applications/Installers. updates are always free, and it's one of the very best programming environments available. Apple has a very good developer site too. Check out realbasic also. That's extra.

I also congrats on your new mac. But, is this the proper computer to bring to a dirty and dusty industrial place...? A PC already
so troublesome with serialports issues, windows versions issues and etc, why add another 'layer' of complications by using emulated window under max-os...

Well I got this cable from Rockwell because I was dealing with there mall Pico units when they came out, I had just a cheap adapter that I had used for RSLogix. But They had got wise to that with the Pico and put something in the software that you had to use the prolific cable from them if your computer was without a serail port. I just want it to work, I am thinking of going ethernet to RS-232, all my networking stuff is working flawless, though I haven't tried Bootcamp either, but if I go the Bootcamp route it defeates the purpose of Parallels. Also at the Parallels forums it seems that several people have had issues with keyspan, I am not apposed to trying it but I think that there is a bigger issue with the Parallels software and was looking a fix that I am not getting from other forums. It is very Frustrating!

You might try a different adapter. I have used both Keyspan and Belkin adapters. Sometimes one will work when the other will not even on my Dell laptop. I have mainly used them with Micrologix.

Got it!

I got a belkin adapter and it works. I also upgraded my Parallels software to build 3188 but the cable is what made the difference. Thanks to all for advice.