IE7 and RSLinx Classic Troubles?

plchacker

Has anyone else had trouble with Internet Explorer 7 and Linx Classic? I've been loading a lot ot RS Software and At some point, IE7, Ofice 2003 and Linx were all useless. It took a couple days of reloading, and digging, and all is working now, so I'm currious.

The guys at RS Tech support told me that IE7 was the guilty party.

This is why it is a good practice to be current revision - 1.

But then again, someone needs to beta test the software - Rockwell won't do it.

Could you elaborate on "useless" ? It would be helpful to have some technical description about what did and didn't work. Please be advised that RA does not consider "all F**ed up" to be sufficiently diagnostic.

My principal interaction between Office and RSI software has been with the MSI installer; RA Tech Support has always been able to help me determine the components to fix.

Probably a computer specific issue. Have run into multiple instances, where there is a software confilct, and a quick call to RA, and you are all good to go.

I've been running IE 7.0.5700.6 and RSLinx Classic 2.50.00.20 (CPR7) for a while and I've never had any trouble out of the Rockwell software or the Internet Explorer.

Are you running later versions? Is this something I should be looking into if I upgrade?

brucechase said:
I've been running IE 7.0.5700.6 and RSLinx Classic 2.50.00.20 (CPR7) for a while and I've never had any trouble out of the Rockwell software or the Internet Explorer.

Are you running later versions? Is this something I should be looking into if I upgrade?

Same here, no troubles, except a recent one involving Factory Talk Admin console, but that was self induced...

The only difference here is that IE7 was installed first on this new PC before any Rockwell stuff was added.

plchacker said:
Has anyone else had trouble with Internet Explorer 7 and Linx Classic? I've been loading a lot ot RS Software and At some point, IE7, Ofice 2003 and Linx were all useless. It took a couple days of reloading, and digging, and all is working now, so I'm currious.

The guys at RS Tech support told me that IE7 was the guilty party.

I have no issues with the above software, what make of PC are you using ?

Ian

I installed IE 7 after RSLinx 2.50.00.20 (CPR 7) and RSLogix 7.10.00 (CPR 7) and everything works fine. I also have MS Office 2003. It is all running on WinXP Pro SP2.

Ken Roach said:
Could you elaborate on "useless" ? It would be helpful to have some technical description about what did and didn't work. Please be advised that RA does not consider "all F**ed up" to be sufficiently diagnostic.

My principal interaction between Office and RSI software has been with the MSI installer; RA Tech Support has always been able to help me determine the components to fix.

All Office programs quit working, and tried to re-install when I clicked on any of the icons (Excel for instance.) RSLinx would not even open, click, nothing.

RSLinx Classic 2.5.00.20 (cpr7)

IE 7.0.5370.11

RA was certain that the trouble was with IE7. (Never would have guessed that, not!)

I uninstalled everything RS, then reinstalled selected programs. Then I found a Regestry fix for the Office Troubles. I'm back up and running now.

I've got Logix 500, and Linx running, and am about to load RSView32, and Logix 5000. I have Linx Enterprise, View ME and much more available, but am afraid to be too agressive this time around. I don't need View ME on this machine, so I'll stick to 32.

The educational package is amazing. I just wish I had the hardware to back it up. It would be great to get a CLX procesor, a couple Powerflex drives and Control Net to something. All in good time I guess. After all, I just got ten new PC's and the software, and Blue Hose for our 504 processors. :D

And as seeing that IE7 came out after all the Rockwell products then shouldnt you be blaming Microsoft for not beta testing their products. No, its probably easier to bash RA.
Regards Alan Case

Last edited:
Microsoft is way too easy a target. It most likely was their fault. But I was poking fun at software developers in general. Rockwell has done an excelent job over the years. I certainly did not mean to bash anyone. Even some of my programs have had extra "features," its all part of the game.

After looking at plchacker's list of Rockwell Software, I wonder if the order of installation is important. Does anyone know? And would this have any effect on plchacker's Office Suite?

My Rockwell distributor (who is actually really good and has not guided me wrong) told me to install REView ME first and during that installation to first setup FactoryTalk, then RSView Studio, and finally RSLinx Enterprise. After that I should install RSLinx Classic. Once that is done, then I could install the RSLogix and RSNetworx that I needed. His reasoning for the sequence was that FactoryTalk and RSAsset Security would cause fewer problems this way due to some relationship with RSView. Sorry, it has been too long now for me to remember the details.

I installed RSView ME first. This time I didn't because I decided that I do not need ViewME. The trouble started after installing IE7. Whatever it was, its gone. I still have not installed 5000 or View32 yet. I'll do that in the morning.

Thanks for the replys.