Should I stay or should I go?

Road_Guy

We have a job going to India. I have been alot of
places but never there. From what I am hearing it
is not the best place to work. Any info would be
appreciated. I am the senior man so I can refuse
this job if I want. Thanks...

I guess it would depend on how much you like traveling and exactly where you would be going. I would not hesitate to go especially if the opportunity arose to see things like Taj Mahal and other aspects of their culture, not to mention they have some very nice cuisine. It is the 4th largest democractic country and English is one of their national languages. If you have never been there it can be very interesting.

When my kids were younger, I always dreaded going out of town. Now that they are grown, I jump at any chance to visit places I've never been. I guess what I'm saying is that you are the only one (maybe with your spouse if you have one) that can make that decision.

I do no expect to see much other than the hotel , plant
and in between. Our road jobs have not been the greatest
the last several years. Do to bad planning, sending
uncomplete work and lack of testing it has been a nightmare.
7 to 7 everyday of the week including weekends. I think I
just answered my own question.

Depend where you go , a trip to Bangalore can be nice , a trip to Guntur , will be hell , the vast majority of the "Indian Food" seen outside of India , is not Indian , but Bengali -

I have spent over two years in India , but never seen the Taj , though I have had the worst upset stomach possible - if and just if you know that the hotel is good , and the customer is OK , than it is worth while taking a trip .
Word of advice , INSIST on the conditions you require to be healthy and comfortable , and INSIST on business class travel .

Definately not.
I used to do the world travel thing too.
When there were slumps in time, at least there were things to see.
I live on coffee, and everywhere else in the world does not seem to make good coffee. SO I QUIT.
If your time is 7-7, I would stay away. Let the youngsters learn.
You can enjoy your coffee and paper and normal routine.

Just think though, if ever you want to see India, you would normally have to shell out at least $3K in travel. Not including accommodations.
Might be worth the trip for 1 week. If it is any longer.....like 3 weeks........I would be worried.
Make sure that you travel with a good carrier too.......

I would say no!

I have heard that it is a nice place to visit, but........

Shouldn't there be plenty of (East) Indians there to do the job.

There are plenty here!!!

I don't believe in driving past work to get work.

Strange, I often drive 75-90 miles to get to it.

I keep asking headhunters why the are after me to go halfway across the US, aren't there people closer?

Is India safe???????????????

Don't drink the water, or the tequila!

Time to use your negotiating skills. Every time I had to travel internationally, I included some vacation time and picked a nice spot to see. Travelled to Thailand - got off the plane in Hawaii. Travelled to England - got a Eurail pass and saw some of the continent. Etc.... Nice way to see some more of the world before you croak.

SNK said:
LOL!
You gotta see it in Canada!
I can only say so much in an open forum!

Canada is one of my favorite places, Ehhh!

Anyplace that likes Curling can't be all bad.

I have never gotten any further in then the Locomotive plant at London, Ont.

I would like to see Montreal, for sure!

Maybe, even K-Bec City, though my french isn't limited, it's non-existant.

If you like curry (and vegetable curry at that) then go.

You will get it for breakfast dinner and tea - every meal is a variation of curry. Lol, even on the flight you get curry.

But if you need labour - the local lads will be very helpful and they do work for a pittance. So low in fact that you feel compelled to give them more.

India is the most colourful, tasty, noisy, dirty, smelly, busy place I've ever been to (in the cities). I loved it. Go wander around the streets at night, buy some hot streetfood, sit and watch the madness. Brilliant.

If you want a relaxing trip, don't go.

JasonWade said:
India is the most colourful, tasty, noisy, dirty, smelly, busy place I've ever been to (in the cities). I loved it. Go wander around the streets at night, buy some hot streetfood, sit and watch the madness. Brilliant.

If you want a relaxing trip, don't go.

Excellent description, could apply to Hong Kong too.

It would be personal choice, if no opportunity to "sight-see" then guess it would depend on what you would make i.e. if it would pay well to go and time frame there. If you have never been it may still be an interesting experience.

Its a fantastic place...

Theres the good, the bad and the ugly but if you go prepared it will be worthwhile..

Like above insist in what you want hotel and travel wise even down to a good guide for your off periods.

I am a vegetarian and can eat curry all day long so it wasnt a problem for me and the street food is fantastic.

If you wanna look around India and see some sights as well and know from plenty of people who visit there regurlarly and work and live there then visit

http://www.indiamike.com/india/index.php?

It will be an experience, the Taj is fantastic by the way.