Here is everyones shot to call me a dummy

rsdoran

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have an AB SLC 5/03, 13 slot rack, P2 power supply, 1746-IA16, 1746-IA16, 1746-NT4, empty, empty, divider, 1746-N04I, 1746-OB16, empty, empty, empty, empty, empty.

Had issues connecting with DF-1 but got connected using a PIC. Cleared memory then did I/O config. It does not appear to be quite right.

I am thinking I need to move the NO4I but will go read manual to be sure.

What gets me is when I force an input or output the led does not come on, its been awhile, do I need external power to those? That does not make sense technically but asked anyway.

I did not get the final component till late last night, this is just a lab system. I have time to RTFM and will, just wondering if anyone can see problems with what I have and help out per se.

I may get it right but if not will send screenshots etc, right now its giving me I:3/0-7 and 0:3/0-7, the NT4 thermocouple card is in slot 3

If any of you think of anything let me know, hopefully will have it straightened out soon but asked just in case.

What gets me is when I force an input or output the led does not come on, its been awhile, do I need external power to those? That does not make sense technically but asked anyway.

when forcing the Input it will forced in input data table only not to the field so led of inputs will not glow when it is fourced

when fourcing the output it will be applied to the field not in data table for this Forces should be enabled & processor should be in run mode

JesperMP said:
Ron, what is a "divider" ?

Anyway, you can try to upload the configuration from the PLC. In the I/O configuration, use the button "Read IO Config".

That I have done, for some reason the thermocouple card gives me I and O, have not figured out why yet. I moved it and still did it, may be an addressing issue, have not checked yet.

With a 13 slot rack there is a plasic piece in the middle, used divider for lack of better term.

I have forced I/O numerous times and led would turn on, as I said, do not see how external power could matter...not forcing the device that is connected to module.

For me middle of night, probably should sleep on it.

When I try to add a 1746-NT4 module I also get both inputs and outputs in the image table. I dont know what the outputs do, but it is probably normal. I guess that RTFM is the solution in this case.

Sleep well, and dream about PLCs. :sleep:

Have not figured out the NT4 thing BUT, just call me a dummy.

Did not have the processor in run mode i.e. no leds etc. This is not my first time to do that either. Overall everything appears to be working, will do some hookups to check it out later.

These are donated or parts from ebay, just now got it all setup.

You know whats nice about a forum like this? Noone has to provide an answer (nice when can tho) but just being able to ask the question sometimes offers the answer.

Last edited:
On the NT4 you have an output word for each input word, the configuration data is written to the output word, usually using the first pass bit. The bits in the output bit are used to select type of TC, F or C, channel enabled, etc.....

Ken Moore said:
On the NT4 you have an output word for each input word, the configuration data is written to the output word, usually using the first pass bit. The bits in the output bit are used to select type of TC, F or C, channel enabled, etc.....

Thank you, never dealt with a thermocouple card before and as mentioned did not RTFM on it.

Little out of practice per se, overall knew I would get it going but created this to give me a push. Who wants to be called a dummy or have to admit to being one?
icon6.gif

Which version of RSLogix do you have, the latter versions can configure the card for you, without having to RTFM. Just go to I/O config, and select advanced configuration, then click on configure in the box that pops up. When you click apply, you will be prompted for the data file to use for storage, and where you what the setup ladder to be added, even adds the first pass bit for you.

I have my old laptop connected with RLL500 5.00.00, it does not do that. I have newer on this desktop, will try that later.

Will probably do the RFTM thing first for GP becaus I have never setup and worked with a thermo card before, at least not on my own. I have dealt with systems that had them but never had to do anything more then verify the temp matched the reading.