S5 115U 944B - what is the S7 equivalent

Johnny T

Hi

I need to replace an S5 115U 944B processor with an S7-300 series PLC. How do I work out what would be the equivalent. I was thinking that a S7-313C would do the job?

Any ideas?

Thanks

JT ;-)

Only digital I/O. About 180 I/O in total.

Nick I don't understand what you mean by 'reuse' IO?

If you mean is all the field wiring going to stay the same then the answer is 'yes'. I'm just going to convert the software from S5 to S7 then stick in an S7 300 series PLC and wire it the same as the S5 ie.. I0.0 from the S5 going to I0.0 of the S7 etc

Johnny T said:
I'm just going to convert the software from S5 to S7 then stick in an S7 300 series PLC

If only life was that simple...sigh!

Depending on what was in the original S5 program, you can find yourself re-writing quite a bit of it as the S5 - S7 converter program will not do it all for you. But it will tell you what it can't do.

Good luck.

Paul

What I dont like about the 313C is that if you do use the onboard i/o, then you cannot easily upgrade the CPU for a more powerful one. There is the slighly bigger 314C-2DP only.

PLucas said:
If only life was that simple...sigh!

Depending on what was in the original S5 program, you can find yourself re-writing quite a bit of it as the S5 - S7 converter program will not do it all for you. But it will tell you what it can't do.

Good luck.

Paul

Paul

I never use the S5-S7 converter I just do it all manually. I think the only problem is remembering to double all the datawords so that DW0 and DW1 become DBW0 and DBW2 etc etc...

Cheers

JT

Never mind 180 I/O looks small...if it were bigger you might want to use old I/O. I too don't like the converter...but because it looks simple I would try it to see what I got.

The 944 in it's day was a zippy CPU. You probably don't need it but a 315 or 317 would probably suite you well and give you comperable scan rates. The 313/314C's are nice but I like Jesper don't like integrated I/O (Unless I'mm doing some High Speed Counting).

I like the PN/DP CPU's they give you Profi for I/O and Drives and Ethernet for HMI/Scada.

Nick

By the way.

The project in India I am going to is about exchanging an S5-115U PLC with a 944B CPU for a new S7 PLC.
The plant will be expanded at the same time, so we have opted to go for the 317-2PN/DP. There will be approximately 600 i/o.
Like Nick, we use the PN/DP CPUs for the same reasons.