Help with remote connection

samcchan

Can someone please help me with configuring my Rslinx so I can connect to my plant's PLC from my home. Currently at my plant, I have a PLC-5/30A with an 1785-ENET. At my home, I have a PLC-5/80E. I am using RSLinx 2.20.01 and RSLogic 5. I have tried loading the AB_ETH-1 driver with the IP address of the PLC at my plant on station 0, but I get a "Unrecognized device" with a "comm. error 00000005". I have also tried the TCP-1 driver with the same IP address, that did not work. Am I missing something? Please help. Thank you.

I do that kind of comunication bettween two cities about 1000Km along, and works fine.

The problem I think is that you need public IP on both sides, or a kind of open ports on both sides (maybe only one side?)

Maybe is too risky, what if i got connect to your PLC and change something ?? is too risky I think.

Luis

remote connection

I don't it is the problem of public ip address or open ports. I tried to connect to a demo plc at www.eagle2.com (a site that lets you test if you RSLinx is configured correctly), but it still did not work. Can you give me some instruction as to what to do?

That 'eagle2' site is for sale, according to my web browser. It sounds like a neat idea, but I don't see it working.

Step 1 when dealing with RSLinx and remote connections is "can you PING the PLC from where you are ?" If yes, start looking at RSLinx as your problem. If no, keep looking at the firewalls, switches, and routers between you and the PLC in question.

I am able to ping the processor from home, but I cannot see it in RSLinx under the TCP driver nor the AB-ETH driver. Please give me some advice on what to do.