Help required

First thought: HUH?????????

Second thought: Homework... again.... What's the context of the class? Of the assignment?

Third thought: Unless I'm really misunderstanding your question (which really doesn't make much sense), you either test and debug hardware or software. Program is software, not hardware.

OZEE said:
First thought: HUH?????????

Second thought: Homework... again.... What's the context of the class? Of the assignment?

Third thought: Unless I'm really misunderstanding your question (which really doesn't make much sense), you either test and debug hardware or software. Program is software, not hardware.

You could say homework. The question should of read, how would i got abouts debugging and testing a program i have writen. Also how would i go about debugging hardware during implementation of a program.

Well you test individual devices first, and once they are confirmed working, you start testing blocks.
All depends how you program is organized.

rajy2r said:
Well you test individual devices first, and once they are confirmed working, you start testing blocks.
All depends how you program is organized.

This is what i have writen so far.

Debugging is basically running the program and watching the inputs and outputs are doing what they should be Also it would require changing timers and counters within a program to ensure that it works.

Most first time programmers rarely get it right that’s why debugging the program in monitor mode or debug the device.

Is there any more i could add to expand on the above.

Last edited:
Debug the hardware and wiring first by forcing outputs in the PLC and/or tripping signaling devices to send an input to the PLC. This way, when you start running the program you will know it is the program causing the problem, although some mechanical adjustments may be needed to make individual parts work together smoothly.

jtn said:
Debug the hardware and wiring first by forcing outputs in the PLC and/or tripping signaling devices to send an input to the PLC. This way, when you start running the program you will know it is the program causing the problem, although some mechanical adjustments may be needed to make individual parts work together smoothly.

As JTN mentioned you need to check each i/o point if its working or not. If you have analogs, are u reading any values and writing the outputs. Thats what i implied by each device.

Once that is complete, you know that your inputs and outputs work (doesnt always mean they work how u want them to work). Could be a wiring issue or circuit issue (backfeed or something).

Then logically try to bump motors and devices and work through your logic.

Remember most young people get confused with logic as it seems all over the place. But if its well ogranised code, then you got bits and pieces working together. So just work through it.

Last but not the least. Add comments as you test things, so it makes sense to you and someone else when you go back to it.

Dave1971 - here's a few things you might like to consider:

1. First level debugging - checking for coding errors/typos e.g. referencing I102.0 when it should be I120.0, testing for a n/c contact when it should be normally open.

2. Second level debugging - checking that all independent software blocks perform as expected e.g. a block that calculates inertia produces the correct results with known test data, verifying that every line of code gets executed at least once.

3. Third level debugging - checking that the system operates as required e.g. when you power on from any given state, the system will always recover and start up.

Cheers for the comments guys, as you are aware am newbie to plc programs and would like for you to try and keep your answer coming.

Thanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debugging
Debugging is a methodical process of finding and reducing the number of bugs, or defects, in a computer program or a piece of electronic hardware thus making it behave as expected. Debugging tends to be harder when various subsystems are tightly coupled, as changes in one may cause bugs to emerge in another.

Ok heres the deal. Change every "is" to "serves the function of being". Change every "of" to "pertaining to". This should work unless your teacher is somewhat technicaly literate and reads Wikipedia.

P.S. a google search of any of the above quote will bring up that article so don't bother trying to cut/paste (plagerize) unless your sure you can get away with it.

or .....

Download program, push the start button, stand back and watch it run, here's a picture of my last job, its a large crane that I programmed

EDIT: here is the website that I got that from http://205.243.100.155/frames/longarc.htm ,man they got some big opps

electri.gif

Last edited:
Okay i think i have got the debugging sorted, also how would i describe the four functions advanced functions of a plc. give as less than, greater than.

Dave,

You give us the four functions and your description, then we will give you ours...

two reasons...

1st, homework
2nd, I have no idea what you are talking about, but if you give me a better description then we may be able to help.

"give less then greater then"?? is that two of the functions?