analogue output burden

Amr Hassan

i am migrating an s5 project to s7
the analogue output channels were connected to i/p converter with 2.2 k ohm resistance. i checked the data sheet which states the the maximum load is 500 ohm.(current )
what would you suggest other than replacing the i/p convertor
(note the voltage specs is out of range also)

Are you sure its an I/P and not a E/P. It would be very unsual for a
current (4-20ma) device to have that high of load resistance.

yes it is an i/p

the original wiring was a 4 wire configuration , however i can not find a four wire configuration for the analogue o/p module

Is the existing S5 AO card loop powered by an external power supply in the loop (passive output), or internally powered (active output)?

What is the voltage spec for the 4 wire I/P?

The additional 2 wires in a 4 wire connection are for a direct power supply connection.

1mA through 2.2K is 2.2Vdc. What current range does the I/P expect to see? I doubt it's 4-20mA which would be 8.8Vdc to 44.0Vdc across the 2.2k input. What range of current does the S5 supply to the I/P?

Why can't you power the existing 4 wire I/P with an external power supply (like it is now) and supply the expected current range with the S7 AO card? Unless the power supply is 50Vdc and you'd fry the S7 card . . .

Admittedly, it's wierd. I'd change it just to be conventional and know that a replacement 2 wire I/P with a standard 4-20mA output could be used.

Dan

this is supposed to be a 0-20ma i/p

please advise how to connect the 4 wire connfiguration , i can see a 2 wire configuration in the manual

Amr Hassan said:
i am migrating an s5 project to s7
the analogue output channels were connected to i/p converter with 2.2 k ohm resistance. i checked the data sheet which states the the maximum load is 500 ohm...
A 2.2K ohm load is less than a 500 ohm load, not more.
What they're saying is it won't work with 250 ohm loads.

20 mA at 500 ohms is 10 volts.
20 mA at 2.2K ohms is 44 volts.

Recheck the analog input spec on your i/p converter. It must be something other than 2.2K.

Can you provide a link to the transducer's spec sheet or installation sheet?Google can't find the numbers provided.