European control panel cable colour codes.

vernon1

Hi Guys , does anybody have a list of the latest "European control panel cable colour codes". I have had a difference of opinion with a German OEM and wanted to know what standards you guys are using!

Code:
According to EN60204
Black:		AC power
Blue (light):	Neutral
Brown:		DC power
Red:		AC control
Blue (dark):	DC control
Orange:		External voltage
There have been some rumours about new colour coding...

yes we use the exact same code as sparkz.the light blue and dark blue can be a real pain in the butt sometimes to get enough contrast.

Sparkz said:
Code:
According to EN60204
Black:		AC power
Blue (light):	Neutral
Brown:		DC power
Red:		AC control
Blue (dark):	DC control
Orange:		External voltage
There have been some rumours about new colour coding...

Do you mean Brown for both positive and negative?

I dont think there is any "european standard". Siemens pre-wired I/O-cards comes with blue cable in northern europe, and +24 is red, -24 is black.

The colors mentoined by Sparkz are from the EN 60-204 ( which is derived from IEC 204-1 ).

In general everything that is concering control on 24 V DC is in dark blue. ( +, - and signals). However, some componies use internal standards.

Yellow / Green is always earth but i think that this is general?

Sergei Troizky said:
Do you mean Brown for both positive and negative?
Yes.

Though I've seen wiring with an extra thin striping to make some distinction, both for AC control (0V = red + extra blue striping) and DC power (Negative = brown + extra black striping), but this is more an exception than commonly used.

Brown for DC power !
Is that a new standard ?

What I have from EN60757 (which is linked to from EN60204-1), but maybe is not up-to-date, is this:
BLACK: AC and DC power circuits
RED: AC control circuits
BLUE: DC control circuits​
ORANGE: interlock control circuits supplied from an external power source.​
YELLOW/GREEN: Protective ground.​
And that is it. There is nothing more.​

I see some use a derivative of the above with light blue for DC GND and pink for AC Neutral. But I dont know if that is according to a specific standard.​
I have never seen brown used for DC power in panels.​
As I said, there may be a newer standard that I am not aware of.​

Just my 2c worth....

EN 60204-1 only recommends the colour coding for identification so I suppose you could use any of the listed colours for any function you like if you are so taken, although as this is a 'standard' that would be defeating the object really...

For anyone interested I've attached extracts from the relevent sections of EN 60204-1:2006.

I've also attached our 'quick guide' used by the panel shop guys. This is mostly for the single core wiring, details for multicore cables, exceptions and special cases would be marked on the drawings.

Kevin

Hi Jesper & Kirk,

You guys are right about the brown wiring: I took the coding from a ROBERT BOSCH plant drawing; apparently this is not as suggested by EN60204.

Now, you are allowed to use a different colour coding, as long as the drawings (and probably also the cabinet) clearly state that the colour coding is not according to EN60204, accompanied by a list of the used colour coding.