CompactLogix PLC 1769-L32E

bissotoe

I have a AB/PLC 1769-L32E Compact Logix. I am using RS5000 to program the device. However, the RS5000 doesn't have the option for controller 1769-L32E. It does have the option for the 1769-L35E, so I thought I could use that one. It doesn't let me download the program to the PLC because the devices are uncompatible. Do I need to install a patch for the RS5000 software so I can program the device? any light is greatly appreciatd.
Thanks

I have been using the 1769-L32E CompactLogix controllers since version 9 of the RSLogix 5000 software, so there is no need to turn to version 13.

The problem with all Logix5000 devices is that the major version of the firmware has to be the same of the major version of the software. The firmware is included with the update of the software, so you can flash the controller to the new version. I have updated all my 1769-L32Es from version 9 over 10, 11, 12 to 13 over time. At the moment I'm standardized on version 13, but I'm sure I will turn to higher versions in due time.

Bottom line: another option for you is to flash the controller back to version 12, although I would advise on upgrading the software to version 13 (or higher).

Kind regards,

The RS Logix5000 software doesn't show any option for L32E on version 12. Now, if I flash the firmware on the PLC, does that mean that the RSLogix 5000 now can see the L32E?

thanks

The good news is that RSLogix 5000 firmware and software updates are included in the Tech Connect support system and are downloadable from Rockwell Automation.

If you don't have a Tech Connect support contract, call your Rockwell Automation distributor and get one set up. You will have access to e-mail support, phone support, and software and firmware downloads.

As for the history of CompactLogix; 1769-L35E controllers were added to the ControlLogix family at Version 12, and -L32E were added at Version 13. The older non-networked 1769-L20 dates to v7 and 1769-L30 to v8.

Thanks, that is the next we will follow: support tech from AB. It is about $1K for one person, so we may as well get the tech support. Thanks for all the replies.

Updated to version 15.0, no luck, same outcome. Failed to create report file, class not registered. I received a note from AB regarding a similar issue. They had to remove the HKEY from registered and reinstall the entire application. I have not done it yet, but I might try since I can't use the PLC.