DDE with PLC

RBergmann

I know that the first response will be to trash the DDE and go to OPC. My bad, but I'm in the middle of a project and committed to DDE at the moment.

My biggest question has to do with the speed of data gathering. I know that DDE is slow, but here's the question:

When I create an Excel spreadsheet and embed my DDE requests within each cell, the response times are adequate for my needs. I have about (30) requests. But when I try and perform DDERequests to the same addresses (both destinations and quantity) in VB, the throughput is probably 15x slower.

Anyone have an idea wh the difference in response between using Excel or VB6?

... rab

I only use the VB but typically my only delay is when loading the form, after that it is updating at the rate specified in the Data Collection tab in RSLinx under the topic (I'm only using AB PLCS).