6200 allen bradley plc5 problem

jordanny

I'm trying to access our extruder 6200 allen bradley plc-5 unfortunately I can not perform online program. A message keeps appearing "BAD COMMUNICATION BOARD ADDRESS". The present device was "PCMK on DH+" and I have a 1784-PCMK/B communication card installed in my laptop.

What does this Bad communication board address mean? How can I correct this problem and access the plc.

Thanks to those who replied. the laptop is using windows 95. The 6200 PLC-5 was working satisfactory until an expat messed on the lap top, transferred the PCMK card to another lap top to access SLC 5/04.

Now, going back to the problem, I tried to follow the thread given by "daba" and made configurations using INTERCHANGE. I used the available driver 1784-KT on DH+, changed the card parameter to CC00 which is equivalent to CF00.

When I do online this message appeared "KL/KT CAN NOT LOAD WHEN WINDOWS KT DRIVER IS LOADED. PLEASE UNLOAD WINDOWS KT"

How will I unload the windows KT driver?

Are you by any chance using Interchange software ?
edit: Yes you do. Missed that in the previous post. So you also used interchange before when it did work ?

What is in your Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files ?

Last edited:
Here is the autoexec.bat and config.sys

autoexec.bat
@ECHO OFF
SET ABIC_CONFIG=C:\RSI\IC\BIN
SET PATH=C:\RSI\IC\BIN;%PATH%
CALL ABICRUN.BAT

CONFIG SYS
menuitem = Win95, Windows95 configuration
menuitem = 6200 , 6200 Programming Software Configuration

[Win95]
FILES=40
BUFFERS=20
DOS=HIGH,UMB
device=c:\windows\panning.sys

[6200]
FILES=40
BUFFERS=20
DOS=HIGH, UMB
device=c:\windows\panning.sys

It was working perfectly until one expat change the configurations. Unfortunately we don't experience the problem before. The instrument engineer can hardly remember the driver.

I used the INTERCHANGE to change the drivers, port card parameters, etc.

Ignore My Previous Post.

What I wrote applies to a PC with Win 3.11 not Win 95.

On Win 95, the PCMK needs the Plug-and-play driver for PCMK. When you insert the PCMK card, it must appear as an icon in the taskbar. You do NOT need Cardware !

Then, in Interchange you have to specify "specific enabler" under an "advanced" tab somewhere.
And the device type must be "1784-PCMK on DH+".
In 6200 under "online confgr" you select "Windows KL/KT/KT2/PCMK/KTX (DH+)"

Last edited:
Thanks JesperMP!!!
I was able to do online today. Using 1784-KT or KT2 on DH+ will require a lot of patience configuring DIP switches for the base hardware address of the communication module. I have no luck with this set-up, always a "BAD COMMUNICATION BOARD ADDRESS"

What I did was select "1784-PCMK on DH+" using the INTERCHANGE program. Afterwards open the 6200 and do "ONLINE CONFIGURATION" and select "WINDOWS KL/KT/KT2/PCMK/KTX (DH+)". Another error message appeared "PLC5 IS SHUTDOWN". I go to "WHO NETWORK MENU" and found that my PLC address is wrong. Change PLC address to 1 from 0 and now its working online.

Last edited: