UPS for PC and PLC and proper grounding

rta53

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am installing a panel mounted hard-wired UPS to protect a Versaview and a ControlLogix processor. The UPS has grounding connections on the input and output. Should both of these be bonded to the ground bus and then should I just ground the PLC power supply and HMI to the ground bus. In my experience with line filters the line and load grounding connections are just bonded together inside the filter. Was just wondering if it was any different with a UPS.

I think the UPS ground is internally connected. They provide a point for the output ground in case you need it to run to your equipment. I always run a ground wire, even where the conduit can IN THEORY be used as a ground.

I would assume the line and load terminals are tied together as well.

If in doubt try an ohm meter?

allscott said:
I would assume the line and load terminals are tied together as well.

If in doubt try an ohm meter?

I would think the line and load would be isolated from one another in a UPS.

OR,

do the instructions tell you anything?

The instructions, which I downloaded from the website, don't give any info about connecting to the grounding terminals. I don't yet have the UPS so I am just going by what the manual tells me which is not much.

brucechase said:
OR,

do the instructions tell you anything?

Instructions?????????

After fighting four Nokia cellphones the last six months, and never getting one to work properly more then six days, I told my cellphone provider that I wanted them to give me a new Black motoRazor. And they did.

That was Saturday at store closing. Sunday noon, I was at my branch back (open 10-1pm) and was headed out for some religion.

I asked if they were a FULL SERVICE Bank, and they said yes. So I handed them my cellphone and said I needed it on silent.

They asked if I had instructions.

I said "of coarse"! And added, but "I'm an Engineer and a Man, and I'll never read them"!

Both the girls laughed, and they set my phone, and showed me how to put it back to ring.