EthernetIP Network

abwiz

I was hoping to get some feedback on my EthernetIP network that I am planning. I really shouldn't say planning because pretty much everything has been ordered. I am hoping that I didn't miss anything real critical that would render this application useless.

As you can see from my diagram, I have 4 remote nodes that will be communicating with a Logix5561 processor. My intention was to isolate the IO/CONTROL network from the DATA network. My solution was to use 2 different ENBT cards. One module is designed to communicate with all FlexIO modules and the other would be used for HMI applications and connection to the PLC for data logging and software changes (upload/download). You can see from the different colors how the networks will be divided.

I have read through most of the EthernetIP doucments and application notes from RA and have read some good posts on this forum about using EthernetIP and I am aware of some of the problems that can occur. I would like to avoid them up front and make this IO network robust and worry free.

My question is whether it is necceassary to assign these 2 isolated networks as different subnets or can I just use the VLAN feature of a switch to accomplish the same thing. Or maybe I just would want 2 different switches. Not sure really. I DON'T want the IO traffic be bothered by anything else. What is the best way to accomplish this or is all this really neccessary.

The DATA network will most likely have other nodes such as cameras and various PC stations. The traffic on this network is really not of much concern because nothing is really time critical.

I would appreciate any feedback, suggestions, comments or bashings (if I deserve them).

enetip_layout.GIF

I wouldn't run everything through the one switch. Since you will have two ENBTs anyway, just keep all the I/O and the I/O ENBT on one switch and put everything else on the other. If you do this you won't need a fancy managed switch as all the multicast stuff will be contained on a separate hardware group. You can still bridge through the ENBTs and the backplane if you want to do some direct diagnostic stuff on your I/O.

Given your I/O mix I could make the case that a single ENBT and a managed switch could work too.

Keith