RSView32 Lockup

Paul T

Last week, I put our copy of RSView32 v6.3 on my desktop so that I could begin developing a new interface for a process we're upgrading out on the floor. I upgraded that to v7.2 and started in. Now, my desktop already had RSLogix500, DNet, CNet, RSLinx Pro v2.50 and RSView Studio (ME) v4.0. I haven't used RSView much, and not at all in the last couple of years.

So after about a day of playing with it last week, I lost the ability to "click thru" to the command list diaplog box when wanting to tie a command to an object. That is, the dialog box would appear, but none of the choices to actually display and select commands would work. Huh. Inconvenient.

On Monday, added a numeric object to the screen, opened it for edit, and clicked on "Tag" to bring up the tag list. That locked up the system. Called RS, got some help. Re-installed of course.

On Tuesday, the re-installed software couldn't open a project without locking up. That is, click on "New" or "Open," give it a name or select an existing project, and clicking to execute would cause the system to lock up; it just sat, needed Task Manager to exit. Talked some more to RS.

Today, took everything that had "R" as a first letter off my PC. Ran some REGEDIT and did the same. Re-installed Logix, Linx and RSView32 only. I can open projets and select tags, but if I try and add a command to an object, it locks up again.

Have a call in to RS again.

Pretty clearly something is corrupt in the links between RSView32 and MS. All the crashes occur when the software is trying to link in something- files, tags, commands. Anyone ever seen anything like this? All thoughts welcome.

Hey there
What I ended up doing having a similiar situation to you, was rslogix, rslinx and rsviewME installed, I ended up getting hold of vmware or MS virtual PC works as well, install xp or 2000 your preference and installed Rslinx and rsview32 on a separate system.

hence you don't have to worry about mixing up all the RS-software programs.

and best thing is when you finished the project delete the virtual drive and carry on

Just a thought use it don't use it

Cheers
Craig

Thanks for the reply! I think RS has given up on it; I haven't

My first thought was exactly that, going to a dual-boot system. Talked to my IT guys and got the impression that the dual boot needed to be set up on a clean install before adding any other software, so we skipped that. Next thought was finding an old PC and setting it up just for RSView; final thought was biting the bullet and going to RSView Studio Supervisory.

So, the backdoor RS marketing worked... we are buying a copy of RSView Supervisory. I already have ME, so at least it's an upgrade. Hurts, though. We have only two RSView32 installations, everything else is just some panel and HMI. So now we'll have one RSView32.

I am just hoping that there are no problems with RSView Studio.