PV+ 700 "Version Incompatibility Error"

OkiePC

Lifetime Supporting Member
After finally grasping how ME works and getting my changes tested on my remote PC, I downloaded the app to the PV+ out on the floor.

When I went down to see the results, there was an on screen error stating that the new application could not be run due to a "Version Incompatibility Error"

Does that mean I need to update firmware in the unit?

I went ahead and restarted the original app, so we are running. Tomorrow I will try to get a better understanding of what this means.

I am running RSViewStudio v 4.0 I am unsure how to determine the firmware revision in the PV+.

Thanks in advance!
Paul

With RSView Studio v4.0, you can compile the MER file (runtime) to a 3.x version. When you create the MER file, just choose the correct type in the SAVE AS TYPE box. This is probably the version you need for the FW in the PV+.

from the PV+ configuration menu

mevr_1.jpg

Select Terminal settings

mevr_2.jpg

select RSView Me Station

mevrr_3.jpg

Eventhough you can upgrade the firmware in the PV via a download, I think most PV+ do not contain enough free ram to allow this to happen. Upgrades need to be performed via compact flash

Ian

from the config menu go to system information and about RSview ME station

This will tell you the firmware rev. you can either rev up the firmware or save as an earlier when making your .mer file..

!!Must type faster!!

D

I have never had to upgrade with compct flash..i have always done mine on line..

curlyandshemp said:
from the PV+ configuration menu

Select Terminal settings

select RSView Me Station

Eventhough you can upgrade the firmware in the PV via a download, I think most PV+ do not contain enough free ram to allow this to happen. Upgrades need to be performed via compact flash

Ian

darrenj said:
I have never had to upgrade with compct flash..i have always done mine on line..

evertime I try to upgrade, I always get an "insufficient memory" error even after deleting all apps within the PV+

Ian

strange....i only ran out of memory once, and i had 3 or 4 .mers in memory..and they all had about 15-20 large JPEGS in them..plus the usual screens and alarms..(the Jpegs were a special treat for the maintinance guys if they started the machine at a certain time every morning!! one would flash up for 10 seconds then dissapear..once per day for 15-20 days..then repeat..unless i happened to be in the plant then i would replace them..(thats why there was 3 or 4 versions in the memory)..it took some time on my part to do it but the guys enjoyed it..and if i even needed anything..i just had to ask..

d

Thanks for the excellent responses. You guys have saved me a bunch of reading, and I was unsure where to start. My partner is here today and says that when FUP-ing, he usually gets the insufficient RAM error, then deletes the projuect(s) in the PV+, then it usually works over ENET.

To me it might be a little risky to load firmware over ethernet, so I think I will use the compact flash method for that step.

Having upgraded a whole lot of PV+ terminals, I've become very conservative. I back up all the *.MERs, the Kepware configurations, and the loaded fonts.

Then I delete them all, and reboot.

THEN I do the upgrade, using a dependable-as-a-mule 512MB SanDisk CF card.

The autorun utility and batch files are my friends.