RSView ME Versions

mwwguy

I have a project done in an unknown version of RSView ME. It is currently running on a PanelView 1000 Plus. My laptop has Version 4 of RSView ME on it. The project will not open in version 4. Is there any way to tell what version the running project was built with and is there any software to open projects built in previous versions of ME in Version 4?

Thanks,
Steve

Any version 3.0, 3.1, or 3.2 project can be migrated to RSView ME Studio version 4.0 automatically. I've never had it fail.

Do you have the whole project archive (*.APA) file, or did you only get the *.MER runtime file ?

Runtimes are compiled and compressed and it's not easy or complete to "reverse" them into project files. Some of it is possible.

What is the precise error message you see in RSView Studio ME ? Did RA Tech Support have anything to say about it ?

I have the *.apa file

I have the Fridley.apa file. The error message I get is

"Unable to restore the application Fridley from" followed by the correct path to the Fridley.apa file. Then it says

"Please check that:
there is sufficient disk space
the application is not open elsewhere
the destination application does not already exist."

There are several gigabytes of disk space. The application isn't open anywhere else. I'm not on any network so even on another computer it isn't open. After I get the message, and only after, there is an empty folder under the HMI folder entitled Fridley. I delete the folder and any other things entitled Fridley I can find and start again. I have tried checking both "Restore Machine Edition Application" and "Restore Machine Edition Application & Factory Talk Local Directory". They both give the same error message.

Thanks,
Steve

Be aware that RSView Studio is too clever by half.
If you (or someone else) had the project on the PC at some time in the past and subsequently deleted the project folder, the project will still be listed in the Windows registry.
You should always use the Application Manager to delete a project.

mwwguy said:
I have the Fridley.apa file. The error message I get is

"Unable to restore the application Fridley from" followed by the correct path to the Fridley.apa file. Then it says

"Please check that:
there is sufficient disk space
the application is not open elsewhere
the destination application does not already exist."

There are several gigabytes of disk space. The application isn't open anywhere else. I'm not on any network so even on another computer it isn't open. After I get the message, and only after, there is an empty folder under the HMI folder entitled Fridley. I delete the folder and any other things entitled Fridley I can find and start again. I have tried checking both "Restore Machine Edition Application" and "Restore Machine Edition Application & Factory Talk Local Directory". They both give the same error message.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

Download RSLinx Enterprise into your laptop. Re-start it and try restoring the .apa file or convert it from an older version(if it is) to 4.0..If it's running in a PV 1000 I would imagine it was done in a 4.0...You should have Factory Talk 2.0 Automation Platform already installed in your machine, without that you wouldn't have been able to install RSView Studio. What you are missing is RSLinx Enterprise.

Hope that helps.
Arnab