OT: OSHA and Two Hand Safety

Tharon

I've had recent issues when dealing with supervisors about speeding up machines and processes. One thing they always bring up is:

"Why does the operator have the hold the buttons the entire cycle?"

I try to explain to them the idea of two hand safety, and keeping the operator's hands occupied at a safe distance from the machine. I think a few of them are having trouble grasping the concept.

I point out pinch, crush, sever points, etc. I explain to them that once these locations are properly guarded and protected, I can speed things up. Their usual response, sometimes jokingly, is:

"Who'd be stupid enough to put their hand there?"

I've done some google searches, but can only find guide books you have to purchase. Is there anywhere I can find the actual rules and definitions from OSHA about two hand safety?

Tharon said:
I point out pinch, crush, sever points, etc.

Their usual response, sometimes jokingly, is:
"Who'd be stupid enough to put their hand there?"
What you should point out is that you still have all of your fingers to point out with!

In all seriousness, nobody purposely falls down stairs, but they have rails and landings for this.

Nobody purposely hits another car in a collision, but cars have bumpers.

Nobody purposely whacks their fingers with a hammer while driving a nail, but they have #%@*!?# words for that.

Jimmie_Ohio said:
What you should point out is that you still have all of your fingers to point out with!

That's actually pretty funny, cause one of the supervisors actually doesn't have all his fingers to point with, due to unprotected machines.

Thanks rsdoran, that's exactly what I needed.

1910.217 has all the details about two hand controls for "Mechanical Power Press's". Most other machinery is covered by another part of OSHA that is very vague. We always use the standard as quoted by rsdoran anytime dual palms are required. (even though they only pertain to power presses). OSHA's web site is a great resource. After a hazard assesment is done, sometimes the palms can be released once all the hazards to the operator are gone. Another method to free the operators hands can be to use the dual palms to start the cycle, and than a properly installed light curtain to protect the operator from the hazards.

Good Luck

Who is stupid enough to stick their finger in there?
ANSWER all kinds of people.
Where I work we have flying cutoff saws to cut stock to length. Lady who had worked there 10 years stuck her hand in. the clamp held it there and the saw cut off her hand. I don't think she is stupid and I dont think most people who do this are stupid. Complacency, boredom etc etc I think are the cause.
How many have cleared the mower exhaust chute by hand or pulled clothes out of the dryer without ensuring both have come to complete stop??

bluebyu said:
1910.217 has all the details about two hand controls for "Mechanical Power Press's". Most other machinery is covered by another part of OSHA that is very vague. We always use the standard as quoted by rsdoran anytime dual palms are required. (even though they only pertain to power presses). OSHA's web site is a great resource. After a hazard assesment is done, sometimes the palms can be released once all the hazards to the operator are gone. Another method to free the operators hands can be to use the dual palms to start the cycle, and than a properly installed light curtain to protect the operator from the hazards.

After 20 years in safety I have gotten so tired of these managers who apparently have no regard for employee safety. It seems that production is the only important thing. I am so glad I am no longer in the business and don't have to argue with them.

Take a good look at your machine. Analyze the whole process and what all the operating parameters of the machine are. Two hand controls may not be the best answer.
Sometimes (not ALL the time) a
WELL designed,
PROPERLY made and
PROPERLY maintained guard
is the best and cheapest in the long run.

If guarding cannot be done then the two hand controls and or light curtain may be good alternatives. It all depends on what type of machine this is and what the needs are.

Dan Bentler

If you don't have a specific machine that is mentioned in OSHA then here is the catch all phrase from 1910 Subpart O:

"The guarding device shall be in conformity with any appropriate standards therefor, or, in the absence of applicable specific standards, shall be so designed and constructed as to prevent the operator from having any part of his body in the danger zone during the operating cycle."

Don't you just love statements like that!!!!

I use the ANSI B11 standards where appropriate.

There are some nice articles on STI's website:
Here

Here is some commentary on the subject that I found interesting:
http://www.sti.com/lazzara/01_04.htm

Last edited:
Ok, another question:

I've read about two hand safety circuits and controls, and have read that you aren't supposed to use your controller as the determiner (sp?/usage?) for anti tie-down and such.

How else do you go about doing that?

For what I planned, I used Jokab Safety Balls (Two NO contacts on each ball) and a Jokab Safety Relay, one set of contacts from the safety balls are wired thru with 24v to the coil of the relay, which interrupts power to any of my outputs on my PLC (Relay Outputs). The other sets of contacts each go to a seperate input. Here the inputs are monitored for anti tie down, and the safety relay is monitored through a NC contact on the relay.

From what I have read, this isn't the proper (or possibly legal) way to do this. Any input from you guys out there? Do you have to use timing relays outside your controller for proper tiedown protection?

Relay: http://www.jokabsafetyna.com/products/posguidedrelays/index.html

Safety Ball:
http://www.jokabsafetyna.com/products/twohanddevices/JSTD1Main.html