Need help choosing CompactLogix software

kittydog42

My company will mandate that I write all software in ladder logic for standardization reasons, but if I get a version of the software such as Service Edition, Mini Edition, or Lite Edition, am I losing any features that you can only use with FB, SFC, or ST? Which did you purchase and did you end up upgrading? I can't see using many A-B PLC's in the short term due to the substantially higher prices than what I normally use (it will be offered upon request only), but I don't want to be cheap on the software now if there is a chance it may be useful later.

Yes... You do lose features.
But, (I may be wrong), you can purchase add-on licenses to use the other languages.
Your company has stipulated that all logic must be written in LAD. So, you won't be losing out on features that might be useful.

Big one that comes to mind, is the PIDE function, that is only available in FB. It is a very nicely advanced PID instruction, that can handle all kinds of switchovers, manual control, program control, operator control, and others (not to mention the PIDE autotuner.. wait, never mind, autotuners only get part-way there).

You also lose the FB SCL instruction, but with version 16, you can 'roll your own'.

Also, depending on what you do, you lose out on the incredibly powerful PhaseLogix for batch processes, and SFC for sequential processes. Both of which can be emulated in pure ladder code, but IMHO is far less understandable by someone that doesn't know how a system should work.

I don't know how AB licensing works at the low end, but I'd at least get 'Standard Edition' of RSLogix5k. I know that it is fully capable of development/debugging in LAD, and you can add additional licenses for other languages/features.

If you are new to developing in RSLogix5000, I'd actually suggest going the extra mile (cost, but not much) and get RSLogix5000 Enterprise. Yes, it does cost more, but comes bundled with all language packages, RSLinx, and the suite of RSNetworx configuration software.

Just getting 'Standard', and then adding later Networx for ControlNet, and Networx for DeviceNet and Networx for Ethernet/IP might cost more in the long run, and you will most likely eventually need them at some point.

If I have to ask...

I am not familiar with Networx for Ethernet/IP. I plan to use Ethernet/IP, so what would that program do for me? Is it required or does it just make life easier?

This is exactly the kind of information I am looking for. Thanks for taking the time.

RSNetworx for <fill in the blank> allows you to schedule the network, and assign transfer times, report on bandwidth usage, etc.

If you are using Ethernet/IP, I'm not sure exactly if it is needed, since I abhor using Ethernet for control, but mebbe our kind friend Ken Roach (who knows all about this) will answer sometime tomorrow!

RSNetworx for Ethernet/IP isn't nessecary in the newer versions of RS5000. In the newer version, you call out the device IO config in the IO config tree just the same as a local module, you don't need the RSNetworx to schedule the connections.

That being said, it's nice to have.