How To Get My TCP driver in to Rsview ME COMM Set-up?

skyfox

Lifetime Supporting Member
Anyone know how I can Get My TCP Connection in to my Com Set-up?

THX.

Last edited:
This is one of those "start reading the manual" things. Configuration of communications shortcuts is covered in the RSView User Manuals, installed with RSView Studio.

As you've seen, the Ethernet driver is already created in RSLinx Enterprise.

You need to create a shortcut in RSLinx Enterprise, then either browse for the controller or manually create the network, backplane, and controller entries.

A very good technote can be found in the RA Knowledgebase as Answer ID # 25191.

Thanks Ken.

Still no luck. I read the tech note as well as the manual and followed instructions per verbatim. Still not doing. When adding a driver, Only ethernet driver is available but not a TCP driver as I have in my RSlinx Enterprise. So forgetting about the TCP for the moment, I tried to add my ethernet driver which is tied to a controllogx chasis and trying to bridge thru a DHRI0 to my SLC 5/04. Nothing doing. When I add the ENET/A, it automatically adds the back plane, but version "B" of it which is not what I have on my RSLinx config. Any Ideas why?

1A.JPG

RSLinx Enterprise does not bridge through Ethernet to DH+ through the DHRIO card.

Put a DH+ comms module on the PanelView, upgrade the 5/04 to a 5/05, or use a NET-ENI... hrm... I'm feeling deja vu.

Thanks rdrast.

Thats dissapointing. Rockwell doesn't support their own stuff. I know I should not have gone the RSView ME route. Is this supported with RSView SE?

I recall doing this exact bridging with GE's CIMPLICTY a while back w/o any problems to talk to a SLC and a PLC 5.

Thanks again.

rdrast,

Reading your reply again, I am not quiet sure I understand when you say "RSLinx Enterprise does not bridge through Ethernet to DH+. "

I have been able to program my SLC through the DH+ Connection (connected to a DHRIO Card in a controllogix chasis using the controllogix Enet card that's on this same chasis.

A] PC Ethernet to > ControlLogix Enet Card

B] ControlLogix Chasis = [ENET Card + DHRIO Card]

C] From Controllogix chasis DHRIO to > SLC 5/04 DH+ Connection

I can program as well as get data from the SLC 5/04 (bridiging thru the DHRIO to the etehrnet card).

Did I miss something from your statement?

I am using RSLINX Enterprise and RsLogix 500.

Why cant I use this same config in RsView ME for communications?

What is the difference between RSlinx Enterprise in Rsview ME as opposed to RSLinx Eneterprise installed and running on my PC? Aren't they the same? So is it a RSview ME limitation or a RSLinx Enterprise limitation? Or have I got this all completely wrong??

A Bit confused now.

Last edited:
Are you planning on running RSView ME on a PanelView terminal, or on a Windows XP computer ?

Do you have only RSLinx Lite, or do you have RSLinx OEM or better ?

The software you're using to communicate from your PC's RSLogix 500 session, through the 1756-ENBT and 1756-DHRIO modules, to
the SLC-5/04 is called RSLinx Classic.

The software that is configured from inside RSView Studio and provides communication services for RSView ME is called RSLinx Enterprise.

RSLinx Enterprise, as rdrast noted, does not have every bridging and routing feature that RSLinx Classic does. It won't bridge from a Logix backplane through a 1756-DHRIO to a DH+ network. It can communicate to local controllers on the DH+ network using a 1784-PKTX card, but not bridged through a 1756-DHRIO.

You can use RSLinx Classic (OEM or better) as the data server for RSView ME when it's running on a Windows 2000/XP computer.

The PanelView Plus and PanelView Plus/CE terminals won't run RSLinx Classic, so they aren't able to take advantage of that functionality provided by RSLinx Classic.

Last edited:
Hi Ken,

I Have RSLinx Enterprise Installed on a Windows XP PC.

Not planning on using a panel View.

Want to run the ME application using ME station on this same WIN XP PC.

If I cannot do that, I would at least want to be able to run my app on this WIN XP PC under ME Stdio development environment.

The TCP-1 driver I was talking about earlier was setup under RSLinx enterprise that is running on this same PC (in addition to my AB_ETH-1, ethernet driver that I have set-up.

2A.JPG

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Following up.....

I was under the assumption that you have to have RSLinx Enterprise in order to Set-up a Gateway driver. I guess I am not completely sure which RSLinx that I have on this PC. Will RSLinx Classic allow me to set-up a TCP driver as shown on the image in above post?

Now I am totally confused about RSLinx as well.

It's okay, lots of people get confused about the difference between RSLinx (to which RSI added "Classic" to the name) and RSLinx Enterprise. In my humble opinion, they should have simply called RSLinx Enterprise "FactoryTalk LiveData Server".

You actually have both RSLinx Classic and RSLinx Enterprise installed.

RSLinx Classic is what RSLogix 500 uses. It has its own GUI and configuration that is separate from any other software.

RSLinx Enterprise is configurable only from within RSView Studio.

Because you need a bridging feature that's only available in RSLinx Classic, you will need to use RSLinx Classic as your OPC Data Source in RSView Studio.

Right-click on the project and "add Data Server".

You will need at least RSLinx Classic Single Node to provide OPC services to RSView ME. There are several different license levels for RSLinx Classic, the most popular one being "RSLinx Classic OEM", which provides OPC data services to any HMI program.

skyfox said:
Thanks rdrast.

Thats dissapointing. Rockwell doesn't support their own stuff. I know I should not have gone the RSView ME route. Is this supported with RSView SE?

I recall doing this exact bridging with GE's CIMPLICTY a while back w/o any problems to talk to a SLC and a PLC 5.

Thanks again.

Skyfox,

Follow Ken's guidance on your RSView ME problem with RSLinx Enterprise. As he said, Enterprise have limitations compared to RSLinx Classic or Prof. and note that it also doesn't have the Ethernet IP driver. You might have to add the driver and the backplane and the DHRIO card and all that manually under the "Target" tab and make it look like your network tree as you are seeing it in RSLinx Classic.

I wanted to let you know that as you had previously asked about RSView SE, the answer is YES, you can use regular RSLinx instead of using RSlinx Enterprise. So you have the option to choose either one as your data server. But in RSView ME, you are stuck with RSLinx Enterprise.

Thanks again to everyone for all your help.

Ken,
I followed your instructions and was able to set up an OPC server using RSLinx. All's well and I thank you for all your RSLinx explanations. I came across RSLinx several years ago for the first time and only just now getting to understand what it is and what it does. I only get to hack around with AB stuff once in a while. Lately, I've been reading up a lot to the point where my head is just about to explode.

Last but not least, I am still a bit confused about the PanelView + terminals....

The PanelView Plus and PanelView Plus/CE terminals won't run RSLinx Classic
I thought All Panel View Pluses had windows CE as their OS. I am no longer confused between RSLinx Classic & Enterprise versions, but......

What is the differnace betwen PV+ & PV+/CE?

Will a Rsview Studio ME compiled runtime (.MER) run on both PV+ and PV+/CE Terminals?

Or is;

PV+ is only used for RSView SE & PV+/CE used only for RSview ME?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
I apologize if the jargon has been confusing. I speak Rockwell-ese dawn to dusk.

RA sells two variations of the Windows CE-based operator interface, called the PanelView Plus and the VersaView CE.

The difference between them is that VersaView CE allows you access to the Windows CE desktop and otehr applications, while the PanelView Plus locks down the OS so that only RSView ME Runtime is accessible. Both terminals run RSView ME *.MER runtime files.

To reduce...no, to generate... um. We're changing the name of the "VersaView CE" to "PanelView Plus CE".

One exception to "only RSView ME runs on PV+/VVCE" is that you can run Microsoft Windows Terminal Services Client on the VVCE, and thereby essentially run an RSView SE Client that's really running on a Windows Terminal Server elsewhere.