AB 5/04 DH+ to ethernet conversion

gregjwilson

I'm trying to implement an OPC type server on my floor and am starting with my 5/04 daisychained to a PanelView 1000. Any ideas on converting the DH+ to ethernet? Other floor PLCs and future stuff will be ethernet ready. The 5/04 stays, I don't have the budget to upgrade so am looking for a cost-efficient solution. Has anyone used the DataLink DL4500-EDH+?

Thanks!

Derek McFarland said:
A 4 slot 1756 chassis chassis with one DHRIO and one ENBT would probably be cheaper!

?????

Cost.jpg

To be fair:
Disclaimer: I have not used either product.( But when in doubt
I would buy AB stuff)

cost+.jpg

Last edited:
Since the PanelView 1000 is most likely Ethernet/IP, the simplest and sheapest solution will most likely be to connect a 1761-NET-ENI to the serial port (Ch. 0) of the 5/04.

I used the DL3500 to go from serial to DH+ and it worked quite well. I'm not sure what you consider cost effective, but if I remember correctly the DL3500 was about $1500.

mgvol said:
Since the PanelView 1000 is most likely Ethernet/IP, the simplest and sheapest solution will most likely be to connect a 1761-NET-ENI to the serial port (Ch. 0) of the 5/04.

That is one solution. The ControlLogix bridge will not work, as RSLinx Enterprise does not bridge through Ethernet to DH+. (And that led to a lot of frustration recently, as I'm used to Linx Classic being able to do just that. /sigh)

Another solution, is to add the (actually, pretty inexpensive) DH+ communications module to the PanelView+, and access the 5/04 directly over DH+.

Using a SLC 5/05 is another possibility, as RSLinx Enterprise does natively support it.

The panelview is already daisychained to the 5/04 on DH+, and it's not ethernet/IP.
I'm trying to get everything on my floor to talk ethernet and this 5/04 DH+/ethernet translation has been the major jam. The machine is running 24/7 so downtime for upgrading (besides the pain in the &(** of doing it) to a 5/05 is pretty much out.
Has anyone heard anything bad about the DataLink 4500?

Not 100% sure this will work, but it if it does it will be a low cost possibility

Use a 1761-NET-ENI Ethernet to RS232(DF1) converter to connect to channel 0 of the SLC 5/04 and then set the pass through bit in the processor.

I have connected a laptop directly to a SLC 5/04 channel 0 via RS232(DF1) and was able to get online with any of the PLC's on the DH+ network.

I'm just not sure if that pass through will work with the ethernet converter in line.

I am sorry for disappointing you guys, but I think there was a thread not long ago about the same subject, and the authority (=Ken) stated that you cannot do Pass-Thru via a NET-ENI. I cannot find that thread at the moment though.