Hoping to upgrade PLC5 DH+ comms to ethernet. Suggestions please.

wildswing

I'd like to upgrade our PLC comms to get away from DH+. We currently run 8 PLC5/40s and a few SLC5/04s. PLC5's are connected to a common DH+ on ch 1A for programming. 1B is used in groups of 2 for HMIs. The SLCs live on 1B as well. 2A and 2B are RIO.

The PLCs do the job just fine in that they have memory room and their scan times are ok. What we're starting to see is network congestion as we demand more and more data from the PLCs over DH+. Our DH+ runs at 56k, so I know I could try bumping that up to 230 and I may still do that, but I'm thinking ahead a bit here. I'd like to go ethernet eventually. I've already converted our Wonderware Intouch HMI computers to talk to the PLCs via CLX bridges instead of KT cards, but the 2 bridges seem to be somewhat of a bottle neck at times [that's a whole 'nother discussion].

Before you suggest conversion to CLX processors...the controls geek in me agrees that would be the way to go, but time will not allow this. I'm pretty much alone here. It would take me too long. As well, the question will get asked, "Where's the payback?" Our existing PLCs run the process very well. It's not a control performance issue. I know the conversion is inevitable, but I also know it would be a very hard sell in our current business climate.

Questions:

1 - I know there are serial to Ethernet adapters, like the 1761-NET-ENI, but the 5 is only capable of 19.2k on the serial port, right? If I used those things I'd be going backwards wouldn't I? I mean, one common 56k DH+ network is already faster than a 10 Mb ethernet with slower serial converters at each node, right?

2 - So next step would be the 5/40E or maybe even 5/80E. I know the newest 80E has an RJ45 socket. The older 5/40E's used a coaxial connection for ethernet didn't they? Any comments on those? The newer 5/40E is 15 pin. I'd consider using the 1785-TR10BT twisted pair transceiver. Anyone have experiences with this transceiver that they'd care to share? [fyi...the costs of new processors from AB is insane, so I'd be looking for used, maybe even on Ebay]

Your comments please. Thanks in advance!

The older 5/40E's had a 15pin D connector for the ethernet port and you need some sort of adapter to convert.

You will probably have trouble finding used Series F processors (I just tried and can't find any). Series F is where they converted to the RJ45 jack.

Remember that the E series processors only have 2 DH/RIO channels not 4 so that may be an issue for you.

Have you considered an ethernet sidecar?

my $.02

Oakley said:
How about a ControlLogix based data concentrator?
How would that help aleviate (sp?) DH+ network congestion? Can you explain how this would work pleae?

allscott said:
Remember that the E series processors only have 2 DH/RIO channels not 4 so that may be an issue for you. Have you considered an ethernet sidecar?
Going to 2 channels from 4 would not be an issue since the new network would be replaceing the 2 that are DH+ now. Never thought about the sidecar. I've heard of them but never seen one. I'd have to move IO modules around, but I suppose it's a possibility. Do you happen to know the AB part number?

Last edited:
The add-on module allscott referenced is easy to add and configure. It only requires that you free up the slot adjacent to the PLC5 processor. It should be a lot less expensive than upgrading the PLC5 processors...