Micrologix programming cable by AD

I have used their cables to program an HMI and from the HMI to the 8 pin on the ML so I will assume if these work, the other should work also.

If I remember, I will check on Monday what cables I have and test it if I have the correct cable.

Hope this helps.

I believe the pin outs of the AD cables are given in the manuals which may be available online...looking...Aha!:

DP-ABCBL-2-Pinout.JPG

The pinout to the A/B cable is shown here (from the ML1200 user manual):

1761-PM02-Pinout.JPG

So it looks like you would not be able to use it as a programming cable, however, for a cheap cable you might want to look at MrPLC.com...it seems they had a discount cable for the Micrologix family...wouldn't ya know it, the online store is closed...

Okay, I am persistent, so what about adding a null modem adapter like this:

http://xtronics.com/reference/RS232_db9M.htm

As long as the serial drivers are only concerned with RXD and TXD, and can still work with RTS hardwired to CTS it just might work...or not...it looks like the AD cable uses pin 7 on the DE9 end for ground...

kittydog42 said:
I have always bought something like this when I needed a Mini-DIN 8. This way, when you cut it in half, you have two.

http://www.lindy.com/us/productfolder/03/31/31534/index.php

Have you used that on an Allen-Bradley Micrologix serial ports? And how well does it fit?

Reason I ask: The pinout looks the same, but the "alignment dimples" in the round metal part are a little different than the A/B cable looking at the pics I have run across. The Appletalk cables appear to have 3 small round dimples. The A/B cable Mini-DIN 8 has a wide dimple across from a small round one.

Thanks, Paul

When we need to connect to the MicroLogix we purchase the AD cable and modify the HMI end as needed. The connector fits perfectly. We have used EXOR Uniop displays and their Micrologix cable has a pure round end (not right angle) and doesn't align very well. Even after buying the AD cable and adding the proper HMI end it works better and end up costing half as much.

I haven't tried it with a Micrologix. I use another brand of PLC which uses a mini-DIN 8 connector and I buy those if I am going to make my own cable for anything. I don't think that there is any more than one type of mini-DIN 8, though, as it is a standard. There are variants that do not have 8 pins, such as S-video or computer mice, however, but those are not referred to as mini-DIN 8.