SLC 5/05 & NET-ENI

blackrm

Hello,

We have a SLC5/05 set up using it's ethernet connection to talk to a Panelview, a PC and a AB drive through a hub. I need to connect this unit to our PC ethernet network, but am not having good success in setting up the NET-ENI (ver D) to allow it to talk through the 232 connection. I can see the NET-ENI device using RSlinx (at the address assigned to it on the network - used ENI utility to set it up), but I'm not sure where to go from here. Plugging in the RS232 cable to the SLC causes communication problems for its small network. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Bob

I don't understand why you would want to use the NET-ENI. Can't you just plug this new PC into the hub? Just have to make sure the IP are in the same domain. By the way, you might want to change the hub to a managed switch (expensive but can give you control over what is allowed traffic-wise).

Plugging in the RS232 cable to the SLC causes communication problems for its small network

Whoah, stop right there, don't go any further. You need to define what you mean by this, and investigate why it is happening. Plugging in a serial cable to the SLC-5/05 should not affect it's Ethernet network in any way whatsoever.

OK. Whatever problem there was (or seemed to be) with having the serial cable connected from the NET-ENI to the SLC 5/05 is no longer showing itself, but I cannot see the SLC through the ENI module so I must not have something configured correctly. I can see the ENI module but nothing further. (thanks for bearing with me on this.)

As far as connecting to the main network, we'd have to have static IP's set up for the SLC 5/05, the Panelview and the drive control. That may be doable, but we thought going through the NET-ENI module would be simplier (famous last words).

Thank you,
Bob

Well, if there's a configuration mismatch between the SLC-5/05 serial port and the Net-ENI serial port, you'll have to resolve it.

The Net-ENI only runs DF1 Full Duplex protocol, and by default it auto-configures itself to the DF1 port speed on the controller.

If the DF1 Channel 0 on the SLC-5/05 is set for Full Duplex, you ought to be able to connect right up to the 1761-NET-ENI with the standard protocol settings for CRC error checking and no handshaking.

Last edited:
Here's where part of my problem lies -- in one article, it seems you can configure the NET-ENI by using the ENI utility but another article talks about messages from the SLC to the ENI. Do you need both?

No; generally you just set up the Net-ENI with the utility, plug it in, and use it.

The only reason to use messages from the SLC to configure the Net-ENI is if you neeeded to reconfigure a unit automatically, or change it's configuration programmatically. This is rare.