CPU315-2DP on line

forty

Iam new on siemens PLC, and Iam trying get on line with cpu 315, the problem is that at the moment I do not have any serial cable or PCMCIA special for siemens.
I have also installed a CP343-1 with ethernet connection, the question is, do I need a special network card to get on line or I can use the regular network card built in in my pc?

I will appreciate any body help

thanks

Forty

You can go online via the CP343 and a 'standard' ethernet card in the PC. This is providing the CP343 is setup in the PLC configuration already. If it isn't there is a way to go online via the MAC address of the CP343, I have never done it this way so I can't help you there, I am sure the method has been posted on this forum in the past by Jesper, search the forum for the keyword CP343.

Paul

Hi.

I did a search for "Ethernet online S7" and up popped so many posts that it was quite confusing. Some of them are a bit misleading (even some of mine - *cough*).

It is relatively simple. In a nutshell:

In the Set PG/PC adapter utility, select TCP/IP for the S7ONLINE access point.

In the HW Config of the relevant STEP7 project, set the desired IP address of the CP343-1. Notice that the PCs and the PLCs IP addresses must "match" (same subnets, when in doubt, just keep the first 3 IP address groups the same, only the last is diffirent, i.e. 192.168.0.0 and 192.168.0.1 for example).

Connect the PC and the CP. Recommended is to place an autonegotiating switch between the two. If you dont have a switch, then use a crossed cable.

Save and compile in the HW config and select "download", if the IP on the CP has not yet been set, then you can manually specify the MAC address stamped on the CP, or you can use the "view" button to search for reachable MAC addresses.

When done, try to "ping" the CP from the PC.

Last edited:
Hi

Plucas: Thanks for your suggestions

Jesper:When I try to setup PG/PC adapter I only see four elements(CP511,CP512,CP5611 and PCadapter)to select, but I do not see TCP/IP access point.
The version of S7 I have is V5.2+SP1, is that an old version or I missed something at instalation?

thanks for your help

You can do that as follows...

SetPG.JPG

I think you must install Simatic Net first. then you will see the network card in the PG/PC interfaces list. It seems that your Step 7 does not have it included.

Last edited:
If Ethernet cannot be added to the list access types, then there are two ways get it there:
1. Upgrade STEP7.
2. Install Simatic Softnet Ethernet. The "lean" version is slightly less expensive than an upgrade to STEP7. But if this is the only reason for purchasing softnet, I would rather get the upgrade.

Thanks all for your help.
I installed Sofnet and now I can see the PLC from my PC.
But I have not been able to download hardware confoguration and project either, the message I am geting is "the block/op.sys.update is too large, can not load SDB4".
it seems that I do not have enough memory,since I do not have memory card installed, but the program I want to load is very small.
I am using a new prosessor but it seems that it has about 20 or 30 blocks already loaded (is that normal?) and I can not delete it

any idea whts its happening?

thanks

Hello forty.

Is the 315 the "narrow" model with an MMC card, or the old, wide model with a battery + MC card ?
If it is the 1st, then you simply cannot operate it without an MMC card.

The blocks you find online are system function blocks. They are always there and cannot be deleted.