Controlnet 1785L40C processor

I purchased a used 1785 L40C (series C firmware rev H) processor last month and i am having problems comunicating with the unit. The communication card I am using is a 1784-PCC series B with Controlnet software 3.23.

Someone told me that I could use 6200 software since RSLogix5 v4.10 does not recognize the processor. Someone else told me that the processor should go back to Allen Bradley for a flash upgrade. When i checked into the flash upgrade (controlflash) they wanted $ 700 USD.

All I wanted was a bench unit that would allow me to "play" with the Controlnet features.

Any help with regards to making this unit function would be appreciated.

ControlNet is not a toy !

Are you certain it's a 1785-L40C, and not a 1784-L40C15 controller ?

RSLogix ought to recognize it over DF1 or DH+, but the 1784-PCC and RSLinx will not be able to talk to it over ControlNet if it's a "ControlNet", not "ControlNet15".

A-B rolled out ControlNet with a proprietary "Phase 1.25" version about five or six years ago. It only made it into PLC-5C controllers and FLEX and 1771 adapters, and it was limited to a single master and was configured entirely in the DOS editor environment; RSNetworx was not involved.

If that's the case, then 6200 or AI-5 software are your only options for using it. RSLogix 5 will program the controllers, but cannot set up their ControlNet channels. You can probably get I/O adapters for Phase 1.25 firmware on the aftermarket for a song; they're all obsolete. The early Series A adapters for Flex, especially, could not be upgraded and I have personally crushed several of them under my boots. In fact, they're hard to order from A-B; you need a variance from order services to get them.

I think you probably don't want to use the old functionality. Your only option is to get that firmware upgrade to Phase 1.5 functionality from A-B. It's a flash upgrade; if your plant has any PLC-5C15 Series C controllers that they've upgraded, you can use the same flash utility to upgrade yours via the RS232 port.

need firmware flash for 1785L40C

It defitely is a 1785 L40C series C firmware H. processer. I would like to know if anyone has the flash software (I have controlflash program but not the actual software/ firmware upgrade for the 40C)available.