Jesper MP => WinCC Flexible question for you

userxyz

Is it possible to use the ethernet interface and the MPI interface @ the same time ?

We have an MP277 panel that is connected with RS422 to a mitsubishi PLC and on the MPI interface there is a connection to an S7-313C CPU. Now we want to use the ethernet port to connect to a S7-315 CPU.

The problem I have is that I want to use the S7 300/400 driver twice. Once for the ethernet port and once for the MPI port.

Is this unpossible ?

ssddd.JPG

I'm not sure if I 100% understand your question, but I don't see why it should be a problem. On the project I'm currently involved with, each CPU (10 315-2 DPs) is connected via Ethernet to a MIS PC (typically 3 connections) and on a few to Cognex cameras as well. Each CPU has its own OP connected (along with the DP-Slaves) via Profibus. Depending on what I want to do, I either link my laptop to the CPU via the MPI port or if I need to have data from several CPUs at once, then I access them over Ethernet from the MIS PC.

On this basis, I don't see why you should have any problem.

what I want is:

MP277 must have a connection to 2 S7-PLC's at the same time

One CPU is connected on the ethernet port and the other on the MPI port of the panel.

Using an ethernet connection works, MPI also, but both connections at the same time ?

WinCC Flex will not allow you to drill into Step 7 CPU via dual connections (MPI & Ethernet). Though via MPI/Profibus you can switch to new Node address (refer to Siemens FAQ). Are you trying to achieve redundancy? You can as mentioned before have a MPI/DP and Ethernet connection configured in Step 7 and use one to program while the other is the Active connection for data mining.

If you want to setup Redundancy you work on network side. If you CPU has TWO Profibus Masters you might be able to configure both into a "transfer" relay and monitor network for transfer over.

Maybe you can describe what you want to do first?

Note WinCC will let you do what you want if you have UNIQUE Access Points (Both cannot be S7OLINE) but I have not tried this and on a PC there is no way I figure this would work...but on a panel maybe...I might just try this for laughs.

Nick

untitled123.JPG

Netpro99.jpg.JPG

If you want to have simultanous connections to different S7 PLCs over different interfaces (MPI or ethernet), then I think it is NOT possible on a panel. With a PC RT it IS possible.
The reason is that on the panels, the same type of access point (S7ONLINE see Combos screenshot) is used as we are accustomed to set on the PCs. It can only be set to one type of connection.

On a PC you can setup a PC STATION with several active interfaces.

If you want to be online with several PLCs with varying possibilities for interfacing, then consider to use routing.

edit.
Nick B said:
Note WinCC will let you do what you want if you have UNIQUE Access Points (Both cannot be S7OLINE) but I have not tried this and on a PC there is no way I figure this would work...but on a panel maybe...I might just try this for laughs.
Yes. This could be interesting. But how to get to setting up other access points on the panel ? Will WinCC Flex allow any other than S7ONLINE ?

Last edited:
Yes it will let you setup a different Access Point...see bottom of first screen shot above...I not saying it will work but it's worth trying.

Nick

I am not so experienced with MP panels.
Is there a "Set PG/PC Interface" utility ?
I guess you would have to setup the alternative access point on the panel.

hey

Siemens mailed us that It cannot work,

but like Nick B said, if we clear the access point in the ethernet communication setting (wincc flex), then it does work !!

Communication to 2 s7-300 PLC's at the same time with the same 300/400 S7 driver in the panel and the use of ethernet port and MPI port DOES WORK !!!

Just clear the access point on the ethernet communication, or like Nick B said, just make sure that you don't use the same acces point.

Nick B said:
WinCC Flex will not allow you to drill into Step 7 CPU via dual connections (MPI & Ethernet). Though via MPI/Profibus you can switch to new Node address (refer to Siemens FAQ). Are you trying to achieve redundancy? You can as mentioned before have a MPI/DP and Ethernet connection configured in Step 7 and use one to program while the other is the Active connection for data mining.

If you want to setup Redundancy you work on network side. If you CPU has TWO Profibus Masters you might be able to configure both into a "transfer" relay and monitor network for transfer over.

Maybe you can describe what you want to do first?

Nick

untitled123.JPG

Netpro99.jpg.JPG

Combo said:
Siemens mailed us that It cannot work,
but like Nick B said, if we clear the access point in the ethernet communication setting (wincc flex), then it does work !!
Brilliant. It has happened to me too. I think that sometimes they prefer to say "It cannot be done" in stead of "I dont know that".
How do you come up with the idea of clearing the specified access point ?

I notice now in Nick B's screenshot, his access point is called S7ONLINY. Looks like he has been experimenting with it too.

Last edited:
Combo...did you try it or are you just assuming it works because Flex let's you do it? I suspected it would but have yet to through the hardware together.

Nick

ACCESS POINT does it

Nick, I'm not messing with toughts, but facts. U had the Idea that it could work if u use different ACCESS POINTS, and you're right, we tested it AND, even more: It runs allready in the machine Line. It Really Works !! I think that ethernet doesn't use the access point...

Nick B said:
Combo...did you try it or are you just assuming it works because Flex let's you do it? I suspected it would but have yet to through the hardware together.

Nick

ccfl.JPG

ssddff.JPG

Combo said:
I think that ethernet doesn't use the access point...
That sounds reasonable. Maybe the ports that are specific to MPI or DP have to use the access points, whereas other protocols that use more standardised ports (serial and ethernet) dont need the access points.

I suspect it's the Panels which don't bother with access point because they have no defined PG/PC interface. Unlike PC which I suspect your access points and devices MUST LINE UP.

Nick

Nick B said:
I suspect it's the Panels which don't bother with access point because they have no defined PG/PC interface. Unlike PC which I suspect your access points and devices MUST LINE UP.

Nick

Set in the CE control panel - Transfer settings and S7 connections ?.....