OT- mechanical calculation

katratzi

If you increase the diameter of a pulley or sheave that is
belted to a motor by 80mm, how much should the belt length
be increased? An 80mm diameter increase causes the circumference
to expand by about 251mm, but is other information necessary
to determine the new belt length? This is a flat belt and a flat
pulley, not v-shaped. (I don't think this last makes a difference, but...)

Take the 251mm difference and multiply it by the wrap angle ratio(wrap angle/360). That should give your new length around the sheave. That may also slightly change the distance from sheave to sheave as well.

You do also have a method of tightening the belt, don't you?

The part of the belt that covers the side of the pulley will be increased in length due to the bigger circumference. But the distance of each belt piece going between the two pulleys will change as well.

If the two pulleys are adjustable for tension, you might be able to get away with not factoring it in. But you'd have to do some triangle math there to find out the distance between the pulleys that the belt has to travel.

I tried one day to do a question like this in a math book, out of the blue, and explain it to others, but I was unprepared and failed horribly at solving it šŸ™ƒ My trig/algebra was a little rusty at the time.

Peter Nachtwey said:
That is cheating...

No...this is cheating :D

B0000DD1VJ.01-A3TQ3OIW6NTQKL._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg