ACS600 help please

Anvilsoup

I'm needing some help with a pair of ACS600's. I think the firmware manuals I've been able to find are too recent and my hardware appears to be canadian.

My 33.01 DTC SW version is CSA 3.0E
My 33.02 Appl SW version is A6ST_30G
My 33.03 test date is 0
My model # is ACS601-0006-5-000B1200800

What I'm hoping to do is set these bad boys up as a master follower pair. I have the fiber optic cables.

My first stumbling point (other than infamilarity with ABB) is that the firmware manuals (that I have accessed) have different terms and numbers and labels. In the standard application program 5.2 it appears that I want to use the T CTRL macro. But when I set the drive for T CTRL the 60.01 to 60.08 settings are not available. And it just gets worse from this point.

Check the drive keypads for an ID number in the lower right hand corner. It looks like you have the earlier version which has no ID number on the face. If you have the later version, it will say CDP312 in the LR corner.

The later versions had more parameters than the earlier ones but I don't believe any were taken away. So, for most purposes, you can use the later documentation without any problems.

While I have hard-copy early version manuals here, I am quite sure that ABB can get you electronic versions if you ask for them.

In addition, your model number ends in a 0 which is the earlier version. It looks to me like you have 5hp 460V Nema 1 models.

Unless you need blazing fast or super precise torque follower performance, I would set aside the fiber optics and use AO2 on the lead drive set to Torque and AI2 on the follower drive which the macro assigns as the torque reference.

Group 24 sets up your torque follower performance which is simply a torque-up ramp speed (24.01) and a torque-down ramp (24.02). Use the lead drive output relays to provide start-stop and forward-reverse inputs for the follower.

This works really nice (just finished a job like this). There are two limitations that you must consider. Using the analog signal link between the drives limits the maximum follower drive torque to 100% of motor rating---no overload capacity in the analog signal. And, you must set the follower drive max and min speeds (20.01 and 20.02) for about 100rpm more than the lead drive. If you set them identical, the follower speed limit will keep the follower motor from developing full torque at max speed. The follower drive needs a little extra room to pull the motor into full torque output.

One other little hint---when setting max and min speeds in Group 20, ABB considers the min speed to be the maximum speed in reverse with a negative sign, such as -1750rpm. Max speed is forward and is positive as in 1750rpm.

If you request a firmware manual from ABB the document number is ACS600-US-5 Rev B.

One other precaution, if regeneration (motor braking) is required in your application, you must have encoder feedback to use the Torque Control Macro. Otherwise, DTC will do the job nicely without any measured speed feedback.

Hope this helps

Just the Guy I was hoping for

Dick,
We are now running in DTC and preset speeds. This does not give us the speed precision we need. You seem to be steering me away from the fibre is there a reason? I was hoping to use the calculated speed of the master as the signal for the follower. This because the load is uneven and we are getting stretch and compression between the two drives.

Yes what I'm looking for is super precise speed follower performance.

Thanks for the ABB doc #

DTC is capable of eliminating all but 10% of the motor slip as the load varies from 0% to 100%. As good as that is, if you've got a sheet or web of some sort connecting the two driven machines together, its not good enough.

For web processes, you absolutely need encoders on both motors with both drives running in flux vector mode. On the ACS600, that means tuning up the DTC a good as possible and then adding an encoder module to finish the job.

The reason for this is really quite simple. Any calculated speed signal no matter how accurate will still have some error. This error can all run negative or positive and therefore is cumulative. Cumulative error will stretch or droop your web over time and is unacceptable. On the other hand, with encoder feedback the error is only one pulse plus or minus one pulse and (here's the key) is non-cumulative. The error always centers around zero.

Speed feedback with encoders is what you need. Go no further until you've got the encoders on the motors and the encoder modules installed in the drives.

Having reread my above post, there is an exception to my encoder rule and that is when you are using a dancer or similar device to directly measure sheet tension or position. In that case, DTC is good enough. But if sheet tension or position is calculated indirectly as with motor torques, encoders are a must