Mark ups on an AB panelview Plus...

darrenj

Hi, i feel my distributor is not being honest with me and i would like some feedback from you people out there..

If i go on line with AB and "build a PV+1000" with no bells and whistles i come out with the following

2711P-T10C4D1

For a total of $3,615.00

Now I would assume that 3615.00 is List price..

What discount's are you guys getting?..becouse it seems to me i am paying list price up here..

I know this is a sticky area but i am not looking for exact numbers..can we just say around 20% of list or 10% or 50%...

Just trying to get a handle on what this unit should cost..not what they want to charge me

Thanks

D

You are correct that the A-B website shows list prices.

I can tell you that for *most* A-B components, our multiplier has most recently been 0.78 of list. However, we are a relatively small customer. When we occasionally have a larger order (i.e. $20k+), we can negotiate better prices.

In line with your question, our multiplier for HMI products is 0.96. I have no idea why it's different than everything else.

As far as I'm concerned, we should be getting a multiplier of about 0.50 because our distributor is worthless. I get envious when I read posts about all the great support some people get from their A-B reps.

A RedLion color G310 HMI model with everything (Datalog, protocol conversion, web server, OPC, AB Native Tags, (2) RS-232 ports, (1) RS-485 port, and an Ethernet port that can support 4 protocols at the same time, free software, all standard) is $2499. Use of the RedLion HMI's will remove those trust issues you are having. Competition is good for all.

RedLion G310 HMI

To be fair, I promote the use of RedLion products in the south so my views are skewed.

Thanks,

Joe_WaZoo

I would assume that the business (how much $$) that you do with your distributer would dictate the mulitplier. It is not the same for everyone.

My mulitplier on that unit would be about 90% (give or take). If I was building some equipment where I was installing lots of these, then they would most likely do alot better.

My distributer is awesome. I have known most of the guys there for some time and never had any problems. I can get some good support from them as well which is most preferred over dealing with the slower response from AB/RA tech support.

Another cool thing is that I can login into my distributer's website and get MY price for anything. This allows me to more quickly and accurately quote controls systems.

RussB said:
Are taking into account the exchange rate?

Yep.. OK so it does seem to line up..it just didnt make sense to me that i was around 90% of list for the HMI but around 68-70 for everything else..i guess the 90% is something i will have to address with them..

Thanks

D

Don't even get me started with AB and RS pricing. It depends on your level of business and what type of customer you are- end user, OEM or integrator. I got better pricing at my last job (OEM) than I get now (end user). I can sometimes beat up my distributor on AB pricing; RS pricing I have never seen significant discounts anywhere (in the last 5-6 years, anyway).

If you're an end-user or a small customer, look at Automation Direct. When they have a part that is equivalent, it's usually 10% - 25% less, sometimes more. I just finished doing a BOM yesterday, as a matter of fact. As an example, I have three DC power supplies (10A, 10A and 20A)that my distributor priced at about $1050. Automation Direct I'm buying four (2.5A and 5A for DNet, 12A and 24A for general purpose DC power) and they are $760. I now buy AB and RS where I have to (PLC and HMI, mostly) and look elsewhere for commodity items.

A-B/Rockwell have a multitude of discount schedules that apply to different products. If you have a price list, you should see the applicable discount schedule in a column or at the page bottom (usually a single letter, sometimes a letter & number).

I think the idea is to keep list prices constant as long as possible and manipulate the discount schedules to adjust for short term inflation.

For each schedule, there are various categories ranging from end user through to distributor.

The largest discounts are on IC products - push buttons, contactors, terminal blocks, etc. The smallest are on software.

End users can often get special "project pricing" for a significant order, particularly if there is competition.

darrenj said:
Hi, i feel my distributor is not being honest with me and i would like some feedback from you people out there..

If i go on line with AB and "build a PV+1000" with no bells and whistles i come out with the following

2711P-T10C4D1

For a total of $3,615.00

Now I would assume that 3615.00 is List price..

What discount's are you guys getting?..becouse it seems to me i am paying list price up here..

I know this is a sticky area but i am not looking for exact numbers..can we just say around 20% of list or 10% or 50%...

Just trying to get a handle on what this unit should cost..not what they want to charge me

Thanks

D
Is that price US or CAD ?

When I check my supplier's online pricing access,
I get $4404.84 CAD as my price

Please let me know, cuz if your price is CAD, I am gonna nuke someone

/RANT ON

A couple of years ago our Canadian supplier stated Rockwell prices were increasing due to weak Canadian $. Well in the last 2 years the CAD$ has gone from approx $0.7US to approx $0.90US, and the Rockwell prices still increase.
What I paid in 2005 for a Harley Dyna, i can now buy a Harley Softail for . At least HD passed on the savings to Canadians.

RANT OFF/

Ian

Last edited:
The numbers above are list US.. So if you are paying 4404.84 then you are getting 0 discount..i thought my pricing was bad!!

D

As there is no competiton between AB reps they can charge you what they want. I did get a quote once from another AB rep (that's not easy) and he patted me on the back and told me what a good deal he was giving me on the parts because I'm an OEM... Well I got the same quote from my local AB rep and I was suprised how well the guy could act. He had me almost fooled... Anyway to make a long story short my local AB guy gets me the best pricing he can and I have proof of it!

John

darrenj said:
The numbers above are list US.. So if you are paying 4404.84 then you are getting 0 discount..i thought my pricing was bad!!

D

We qualify for 'Rockwell Dollars' on our purchases, meaning at the end of the year we get a cheque representing a % of all Rockwell purchases. So that is our discount.

Ian

You should feel lucky to get that 0.9 multiplier. My multiplier is 1.1 on PLC products, and 1.21 on HMI products, and my rep makes me feel lucky that I can do that well. After all, A-B sells itself.