ULTRA 100 Series Drive

Alex Pel

Hello everybody. I am new in Servo control. We received a new machine with ULTRA 100 Series Drive. PLC is AB SLC 5/05. The drive was moving in wrong direction. What is going to happen if I switch two of the motor wires (R, S, T)? I tried. It didn’t change direction. In fact, it is not working at all now. Could I kill something?

Thanks for help.

Ultra 100

To reverse the direction of rotation af an Ultra 100 , you have to change a parameter.

Ultra 100 has a software that enebles you to access diferrent parameters of the drive, you use an RS 232 cable to get connected to the drive.

Peace
Hagos

You don't want to swap the phase connections at the motor alone. If you are going down this path to change direction, then you need to swap the connections at the Hall feedback inputs (for commutation) as well.

The easiest thing to do is make the change in the drive configuration. Read on...

You will need to get online with the drive. Get a copy of UltraMaster (drive software for this drive) and a 3-wire serial cable with RX and TX crossed.

There is a setting under MotorParameters\Feedback that allows you to invert the direction of the motor.

Thanks Hagos. Now I am looking for ULTRA Master software, but I still have the question about possible electrical damage in case of wrong connection.

It should not have damaged the drive or motor by swapping 2 phases. It probably caused a fault as soon as it tried to run and detected the feedback going in the wrong direction. Try swapping the motor power wiring back how it was and then reset the fault. I have not worked with the 100 series, does it have an LED displaying a fault code?

Ok. I got the ULTRA Master ver. 1.60. It alerts me that drive firmware version is higher than my software, but I checked it is the same like 1.60. I don’t know what does it mean? Any way I’ve read the error code like: “Excess Velocity error”. Suggested actions didn’t help. I managed to see oscilloscope and I fund overcorrect. Reconnected all cable plugs. Now it’s working. To change rotation I have changed Indexes distance signs from “+” to “-“.

Alex,

Glad to see you got everything working.

The Excess Velocity Error is probably from having the Velocity field for a particular index to close to the maximum RPM for the motor you have. If the velocity loop is not tuned for optimum performance, you may experience this velocity overshoot.

The simple solution would be to turn down (reduce) the Velocity. You can also reduce the Acceleration to minimize overshoot as well.

If your application does not allow for this, then tuning optimization would be the way to go.

Good luck..!!

We found better solution to reverse the motor. If ULTRA Master start in advanced mode (ultramaster.exe /A) in Drive Setup additional options appeared, like - CW/CCW. So I just picked CCW.

please share

Alex Pel said:
We found better solution to reverse the motor. If ULTRA Master start in advanced mode (ultramaster.exe /A) in Drive Setup additional options appeared, like - CW/CCW. So I just picked CCW.

Could you please share ULTRA Master please???

In advance thanks

segaauto