three phase current

hounddog

have a question.
if you have a motor that you put a amp clamp on and it is pulling 28 amps across each phase, and is a three phase motor.

is the total current draw equal to 3*28, or is it 28 amps.

Does anyone know of a good web page with calculators, formulas, etc. to help with questions such as this.

thanks

hounddog said:
Does anyone know of a good web page with calculators, formulas, etc. to help with questions such as this.

This is basic electrical theory. While it is possible, there is no practical reason to combine the individual 3-phase line (or phase) currents to come up with a single number.

Originally posted by wescEngineer:

Current as labeled on the motor should be around 28 amps but power is (3)^1/3 * V * I * Eff * Pf (units in watts).

I'm pretty sure the equation should be:

31/2 * V * I * Eff * PF

as opposed to

31/3 * V * I * Eff * PF

as listed above.

Keith

kamenges said:

31/2 * V * I * Eff * PF

as opposed to

31/3 * V * I * Eff * PF

as listed above.

Keith

It is, another way to display is the square root of 3 (1.73)*V*I*EFF*PF

kamenges said:

31/2 * V * I * Eff * PF

That would be the mechanical energy output of the motor, accounting for energy inefficiencies.

The energy consumption of the motor is
31/2 * V * I * PF

First lets note that the square root of 3, which is used with 3 phase calculations, is 1.73

To obtain watts it is 1.73*V*I*PF, to obtain KW divide that by 1000.

To get HP (output) you use 1.73*V*I*EFF*PF divided by 746

As mentioned the formuals are shown here: http://www.patchn.com/motorformula.htm

V and E are both used to express voltage.