scanner to micrologixs plc

hounddog

has anyone attempted connecting a barcode scanner to a micrologix plc?
I have successfully installed dozens of sick clv410 barcode scanners to a omron plc, such as the cqm1h, which you can install a expansion card with two standard serial ports, and then display the scanned barcode on a omron display
Could someone give me a good suggestion on how to do this with a micrologixs, I called my local ab rep, but the tech guy was unsure how to do it.

I asked about a micrologix, due the fact that I have some spare micrologix 1200 and a couple of 1100's that I could use.

Thanks

You can setup the RS-232-C port on the MLX1200 unit for straight ASCII. Some of the MLX1200 units come with an extra port so that you can leave one available for program downloading or other communications.

Just write some code to handle the ASCII data that will be sent by the barcode scanner.

DeviceMaster UP

Have you considered the DeviceMaster UP? We can support serial to Ethernet/IP conversion without unnecessary logic. We can support write-to-tag, write-to-file, or polling.

Feel free to google our part number 99011-6 or 99447-3 for product details, as I am unable to post a link here.

Also feel free to contact me directly, if you might like to evaluate one of them.

Thanks
I have a couple of 1200 with two serial ports

I prefer to trigger the barcode scanner to scan a code with a hardwire trigger, instead of triggering it through the serial port.

I use the sick cl410 and the small power supply/break out box that you can order to use with the scanner.
The reason I trigger the scanner with a plc output, is that I have found that if I am talking to a tech in one of our plants, and they are having a barcode scanner issue, it is easier to tell them to see what a certain output is doing by just looking at the led on the output module.

Am going to try to trigger the scanner, then read the scanned barcode with the plc and then display the scaneed barcode on the display. I have a panelbiew micro 300 on a test bench that I can use.

Would you mind sharing your application.

Thanks

I would be more than happy, except I left all of my .rss files at my previous employer.
DOH!
Would have been some great sample code because I was filtering out the other junk in the barcode and just keeping the stuff I wanted displayed on the HMI.

Sorry man!

Hounddog

I have several similar applications except using 5/03's and 05's, but i believe the code would work for MLX. On the 5/03's i pefer to scan into a basic module, and use the processor port for HMI, but you can go directly into the CH0 port. On the 5/05's i use ethernet and scan into a PC. Cost is about the same for the Basic module and the RSlinx OEM which is the minimum linx you need. Lite won't do it. I could send you a sample but i dont know how to attach an RSS file.