PV+ 1000 to Compactlogix L32C controller

jjnelson81

Can someone give me a kick in the right direction here. I am attempting to connect a PV 1000 to a compact logix L32C controller via serial communications. I have made a cable using pinouts I found, it is a 2706-NC13 cable, from what I can tell from the diagram which is blurry, it is a straight cable with pins 1-8 connections.

In RSStudio I have setup a DF1P2P driver and pointed to the processor on the target tab of communications setup. When I load the runtime, I get no communication between the PV and the L32C

Any ideas?

be sure of connect to the DF1 por on the PV not the printer port, in the plc verify the settings of the port the communication shall be also in DF1.

Simplify, simplify.

The cable between a PanelView Plus and any A-B controller is a "straight through" RS232 cable. I prefer prebuilt cables when I can get them.

I'd try first with RSLinx Enterprise on the RSView Studio development computer and a null-modem cable between your PC and the CompactLogix. This will let the RSLinx Enterprise DF1 driver browse to the controller and verify the port and node settings.

Post a detailed description of the RSLinx Enterprise path if you can. I have a CompactLogix on my desk I can test this with later this morning.

Ken,

According to the manual for the compact logix manual, the cable that communicates with the PV differs from the cable used to communicate from SLCs to the PV. I originally tried the serial cable we use to communicate to the SLC with no success. That is when I did some research and found a different pinout config for the compacts.

I have used a null modem cable to connect to the PLC and configure communications. It worked fine, then when I tried to make the PV communicate with the PLC, it did not. I tried both cables.

I will get you some screenshots of the setup, but I have had no success.

At length: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS-232

In short:

All* personal computers have DTE type serial ports.
All* A-B controllers have DTE type serial ports.

For reasons beyond the comprehension of living men, PanelView Standard and PanelView Plus terminals have DCE type serial ports. In the words of Monty Python, "Those responsible have been sacked."

DTE to DTE connections use a "nulll modem" cable. These include the ubiquitous 1747-CP3, 1756-CP3, and 1761-CBL-PM02 programming cables.

DTE to DCE connections use a "straight through" serial cable. A-B has a handful of PanelView-specific part numbers for these cables, but most users employ general-purpose straight-through cables or add a "null modem adapter" to a SLC/Logix programming cable.

As for your specific connection configuration.... I'll go set one up and be certain about it.

* By "All", I mean "every PC I've ever seen in the past twenty years" and "Every A-B controller that has an RS-232 serial port, including the modular SLC-500 controllers, PLC-5 Enhanced, Ethernet, and ControlNet controllers, and all ControlLogix, FlexLogix, CompactLogix, and DriveLogix controllers."

Last edited:
Ken is absolutely right. The cable between the controller (L32C) and the PV+ should just be a straight thru cable.

If you are sure that the cable is okay, you might want to make sure that both devices are setup to talk the same language as well as all parameters associated with this talk are correct.

The L32C is setup as default for DF1 (P2P) with the following parameters.

Baud - 19.2
Data Bits - 8
Parity - None
Stop Bits - 1
No Handshake

I just looked up the 2706-NC13 cable pinout because I couldn't remember the pinout. That cable IS a straight thru cable without Pin 9 wired.

This pretty much confirms that your problem is with your RS-232 port settings on either the PV+ or L32C end.

Ken,

Thanks for all the feedback. Believe it or not, the connection was fine, the update was so slow due to numerous tag errors. My boss graciously handed over a project from another engineer that was supposedly finished and found that it was about 1/2 done. I copied the runtime to the PV and then connected the cable, no surprise that it was not working, so I went to lunch. When I came back, it was ok. I then pulled my head out of my a$$ and looked at the messages on the error bar in studio and saw numerous tag issues. I cleared those up and it worked a lot better.

Thanks again for all the support. I have been poking around this site for a year or so and thought I should probably become a member. I am sure you will see more of me around.

Later all

I set up a PV+ 400 and a CompactLogix with a straight-through RS232 cable (literally from Radio Shack) and was able to get them to communicate fine.

The Shortcut appears as follows in the RSLinx Enterprise cofiguration:

RSLinx_Enterprise_DF1_CompactLogix.GIF

The General settings for the DF1 driver in RSLinx Enterprise are:

COM Port: 1
Device: Logix Platform
Station Number: 0
Use Autoconfiguration: Checked

The Link settings for that driver are:

Baud: 19200
Stop Bits: 1
Parity: None
Error Check: BCC