1761-NET-ENI email issues

douglail

here is my vision:

i am trying to use a NET-ENI to generate an email message containing ZPL code(for a zebra barcode printer) to an email box.

i already have the printer polling the pop3 mailbox looking for messages, and when it sees one containing zpl code, it prints. that part is working fine.

i'm having issues combining the strings into an email that contains the proper formatting instructions.

i assume that i have to set the message up as a string in the program, and i'll have to poke changes into those strings to make my variables work (for different types of things coming off the assembly line).

i need a little bit of info:

1- does the net-eni have a limit to the size of an email that it can send? (i'm going to need to send it about 450 bytes of info for the formatting message, plus header overhead, etc.)

2- will control characters (i.e. ^F ^x) screw with it?

and most importantly WILL THIS VISION WORK? or is there a better way? (i'd go rs232, but the printer and the plc are a LONG way apart, and i don't have any free rs232 ports on the plc anyway)

update

i discovered the allen bradley plcs have a string limitation of 84 characters. and the email function of the net-eni is limited to sending one string only.

that path was a deadend.

however,
i found alternatives.

siemens CP343-1 on the s7 platform is MUCH more robust in the email functions. up to 8k per message.

also discovered the wonders of rs232 via radio.
over 1 km range, direct cable replacement for a suprisingly low cost.

Just a bit of info for completeness: The PLC-5, MicroLogix and SLC-500 controllers do have String datatypes that are only 82 characters long, and the Net-ENI's capability is similar.

The ControlLogix family controllers (including CompactLogix) can send e-mail text up to 474 characters using their EtherNet/IP interfaces (1756-ENBT, 1768-ENTB, 1788-ENBT). I haven't done any applications with more than a short message.

Sounds like you found a dedicated communication processor module for your application. Good luck with this interesting application !