Allan Bradely communications setup problems.

wrongboy

I’m trying to set up communications between a new laptop and an existing AB PLC. The PLC has a 1756-ENBT/A Ethernet/IP module. In RSWho I get the yellow question marks and red X’s over the devices. I’ve tried pinging the Ethernet module but I get a message stating that the “destination host is unreachable”. I realize that this is a network problem but I’m stuck when it comes to fixing it. I can communicate with the PLC using our old laptop so I’m pretty sure the problem is in the setup of the new laptop. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

have u setup a static IP address of ur laptop? Is it on the same subnet?
The static ip should be on the same subnet as ur ENBT IP. FOr ex the ENBT module has an IP 192.168.167.1 then set your laptop to 192.168.167.2 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, This setup can be done in the network properties of ur lan connection.

On your laptop, go to the command prompt (From Run, type in CMD), type in IPCONFIG.

You will see the laptop's ip as well as the subnet. Use this
subnet on the Logix PLC.

You can use the application that comes with RSLinx (Boot-DHCP Server). I don't have my application with me, but if you need somebody to walk you throuh, you can ask. I don't want to guess at this point.

since the plc is already existing you need to change the subnet mask and the ip address on your pc. you can go online with the plc thru the serial port and look at the configuration of the ethernet module.

If I know the IP and subnet mask of the old laptop used for connecting to the PLC can I change the new laptop to use these values?

that is a very simple solution, if your laptop is not used for anything else, then yes you can. If your laptop is connected to a network then the new subnet mask might not be compatible with the old network and your laptop will work fine with the PLC while it won't be able to connect to other networks. Just check to be sure.

That's what it took. We only use this laptop for connecting to the PLC so I was able to change the IP Address and Subnet mask of the laptop and everythings talking now.
Thanks for all the help.