CAT 6 Cable

rta53

Lifetime Supporting Member
Doing my first job using ethernet I/P control with Control Logix and Flex I/O ethernet adapters. The spec requires CAT 6 cable. I wanted to buy good quality cable and it needs to be white. I tried to find Belden but having a hard time. Is this something I really need to be concerned about or does it matter as long as it conforms to the CAT 6 standard? One place I looked online had American made and imported cable. The imported was about $40 cheaper for 1000'. I've seen prices anywhere from $130 to $300 for 1000' of non-plenum cable.

Whose spec calls for CAT 6?
Why?
Nothing on an I/P network will make use of the small bit of bandwith available over CAT 5E.

CroCop said:
Whose spec calls for CAT 6?
Why?
Nothing on an I/P network will make use of the small bit of bandwith available over CAT 5E.

The customer's User Requirement Spec is what I am having to conform to.

I agree that Cat 6 is going over board. Cat 5e is good for up to Gigabit Ethernet.

One detail that I always make sure of when using Ethernet in control cabinets is to use STP (shielded twisted pair) as opposed to the more common UTP.
Also be sure to use solid wire and connectors appropriate for it, it less prone to noise especially in longer runs. A good installer will avoid putting RJ45 plugs on cables themselves because it is not easy and possibly the most prone area for failure. A better method is to terminate to jacks and use pre-made patch cables to go from the jack to the device.