Mitsubishi HMI Printing

davidrl

I seem to be having some problems using the "Screen hard copy function" that is built into the Mitsubishi HMI. I'm using an F940GOT-LWD-E along with an FX-1N-24MT (although the PLC shouldn't really matter). Also, the printer is an Epson LX-300+ that is ESC/P based as is stated in the F940 manual. Further, I have it properly configured; I can print the alarm history and sampling data. But, whenever I try to use the print screen function, data is sent to the printer, but the printer just outputs garbage (not the same garbage as a baud rate problem though). So, I was wondering if anyone here has experienced this, and if so, is there any way to solve this? I think it's just a matter of how the F940 outputs graphics, because the printer prints fine from Windows. Thanks for the help.

i don't have experience with this but is seams that your printer is ok with ASCII data and not ok with graphics (or at least doesn't understand format, maybe you have selected wrong emulation etc.)

panic mode, thanks for the reply, but I don't think that the problem is the printer. As I had said in my first post, I connected the printer to a PC and it was able to print text and graphics fine from Windows. So, I think the problem is how the HMI outputs graphics. Right now, the printer is set to ESC/P language, which is what the F940 manual says that the printer needs to be. If anyone knows any details of how graphics are sent from the F940 I'd love to hear. Thanks again.

my F940 manual says that the printer language has to be "ESC/P J84"

I would try checking port settings on both devices (parity, stop etc., see below what F940 is supposed to support).
Try calling Mitsubishi and verify if firmware version you have
is current one. I was buying few F940 units and one of them came with very old firmware (according to Mitsubishi that was some 6 year old or so).
You can also try finding out what is the difference between all ESC/P versions (ESC/P, ESC/P2, ESC/P3, ESC/P J84 etc.).
Since this is just R232 connection, i would definitely
capture data packet sent by HMI and WindozePC and compare them.

Anyway, my F940GOT manual says :
The contents of the screen currently displayed can be output to a printer.
• Applicable printer
ESC/P J84
Printer with RS-232C interface
* Verified printer model
LBP450 (laser printer for A4 size) manufactured by CANON
• Setting of communication parameters
- Baud rate 300, 600, 1200, 2400, 4800, 9600 or 19200 bps
- Data length 8 bits
- Stop bit length 1 or 2 bits
- Parity Even, odd or none
- Handshaking DSR/DTR or XON/XOFF
- Printer Used or unused

Thanks for the tips, panic mode. I'm actually on the phone with Mitsubishi tech. support right now. I'm all updated and fairly certain I have the correct settings. We (the Mits. tech and myself) are stumped. However, I think we have concluded that although the printer is ESC/P compatible, it is used for text only. I've connected it to my computer and only been able print graphics using the dedicated Epson LX 300+ driver, which is more advanced than the ESC/P driver. So, I think I'll just have to get a different printer once I contact Epson and see which one to get. Again, thanks for your help and advice.