OT,New application, Load cell

geniusintraining

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi guys,

I am doing a new app that involves web tension measuring, I have load cells now and I think this is the best method for this.

I have search and found a few but I was wondering anyone have any 'good' brands that they would recommend?

This will be a flange or pillow block bearing style, the journal is 32mm, looking for 4-20 output, the tension range would be from 100-600nm

The ones that I have now are FMS? I can't find any info on them and thats to bad, they have been good

Thanks
Mark

I used Sensotec successfully back before they were acquired by Honeywell. That's not intended to be a commentary on whether the product line got better, got worse, or stayed the same following the acquisition.
the tension range would be from 100-600nm
Web tension is generally expressed in units of force (Newtons or pounds) or distributed force across the width of the web (Newtons per meter). Nm (Newton-meter) is a unit of torque.

What is the product? I'm accustomed to tension in a paper web which tends to run quite a bit lower than your range (assuming you mean 100 - 600 Nt/m).

My experience is on tissue rewinders, where we used an assembly from ABB including a profibus interface.
Tension range on the unit is 0 - 10 kg.
Have 8 of these in service.

I use mostly Cleveland-Kidder cells and signal amplifiers.

The amplifiers are of a simple design, but basically rock-solid. I've been burned in the past too often by overly complicated ones.

Also, I definately prefer an external amplifier, and pure strain-guage load cells. Just personal preference, but in the event of a problem, it means you don't have to change out a costlier combo-unit.

I'm guessing GIT's tensions are in Newtons, which would put this into a pretty reasonable range for paper.

Like rdrast, we have used quite a few CMC loadcells and amplifiers with very good success. And again like rdrast, we have been bitten by the high performance digital amplifiers in the past. We have decided to stick with the good old fashioned analog amplifiers for what we do.

In adition to those already mentioned I would throw in MagPowr, which is part of the Maxcess group.

We have had reasonably good luck with all of them but I really believe that CMC is the best price/performance combination. Having said that, be careful with the CMC under pillow block design. They have what appears to be a mechanical issue with a small zero offset after they have been loaded. The output slope holds but the offset floats.

Keith

Steve Bailey said:
...What is the product? I'm accustomed to tension in a paper web which tends to run quite a bit lower than your range (assuming you mean 100 - 600 Nt/m).

Woven fiberglass that is impregnated with resin, it is the substrate for circuit boards, when it get's rewound is what I’m after

Thanks to all for the sugestions