ML1000 Fatal Error...

Eric Nelson

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Just got back from a service call on a piece of equipment we rebuilt a few months ago. It's been running 24/7 since installation with no problems. Until today...

I found the ML1000 faulted with error code "8" in S:6 (Fatal Internal Software Error). Every time cleared the fault with RSLogix, it would re-fault when put back in RUN. I had a copy of the program, so I re-loaded it, but continued to get the same fault. My solution was to turn on the Fault Override at Powerup bit (S:1/8) and Run Always bit (S:1/12). Poof!, no more faults.

I found it odd that it would always fault entering RUN when using RSLogix to clear the fault, yet NOT fault by setting S:1/8 and S:1/12. I always thought this accomplished the same thing (for the most part). IOW, RSLogix "Clear fault" = S:1/8, and RSLogix "Change to RUN mode" = S:1/12. Just doing it "automatically" at powerup vs. going online to do it... :cool:

My question is, what might have caused this fault? The machine's running fine now, so it's more for future reference than anything else. I've already chalked it up to being noise related. Now, if the processor faults in the future, THEY can reset it by cycling power (and save me a trip). For some reason, this particular customer has a LOT of weird problems in their plant... :rolleyes:

Another thing I thought might be the culprit is program size. When writing the program, I forgot how little 1K is as I'm so used to using larger processors. Since this was only a rebuild, I kept the existing PLC. If this was a new job, I would have used an ML1500.

According to the "summary" tab, it shows Memory Used: 936, Memeory Left: 5. I didn't use it ALL, but is this a no-no?... :unsure:

beerchug

-Eric

How processor do own stacking fe. subroutine calls, loops etc. ?
Is it using free program memory, and how much it needs memory, debends of application construction ( how many nested calls etc..).