Question about power voltage in Scotland

Our customer in Scotland specified the power for new project as 400VAC 3-phase + neutral, 50Hz.
I've never heard of such voltage. May it be a mistake?

No mistake. We used to be on 230V 1Ph+N and 415V 3Ph+N but due to harmonisation with the rest of Europe, we now run on 230V 1Ph+N and 400V 3Ph+N.

Jon.

In the spirit of harmonization, the old 415V systems have been lowered to and the 380V ones raised to 400V.

Directives are a wonderful thing!! The reality is that you can still put a DVM on any supply in the 4 corners of the UK and get anywhere between 400 and 440V(ish) - but, if it keeps the Eurocrats happy then we'll call it 'Harmonised' ;)

Jim.

In the real spirit of harmonisation nothing has changed but the nameplate. When the standard was set at 400V the old margins were also changed so that 415V systems in the UK are now at the top of the acceptable range and 380V systems in continental Europe are at the lower end of the range. The standard may be 400V but nobody actually uses a 400V system. Isn't politics wonderful.

Andybr