anyone ever see a hart device comm go bad?

diat150

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am trying to communicate with a rosemount 3095mfc flow transmitter. I have tried the rosemount engineering software with the hart modem, a 375, and a 275 and none of them will communicate with it. I have tried putting the 250 ohm resister every possible way that it is possible! I just cannot communicate with it for nothing. have you ever not been able to talk to a hart device because the hart comms went out? this is a brand new unit. I just dont understand what is the deal here.

You're sure the transmitter is HART capable? Most Rosemount is, but is EVERYTHING HART?

You put 250 ohms in series, in the loop ?
Do you have an indicator or PLC AI input connected in the loop?
You have provided loop power?
The instrument turns on?
You put the HART leads acorss the transmitter's + & - ?
You're running generic HART (URV, LRV) or the communicators have the DD installed?

danw said:
You're sure the transmitter is HART capable? Most Rosemount is, but is EVERYTHING HART?
100%
You put 250 ohms in series, in the loop ?
I put it on both sides of the loop + and -
Do you have an indicator or PLC AI input connected in the loop?
yeah, a modicon plc
You have provided loop power?
yep, 24 volts
The instrument turns on?
yep
You put the HART leads acorss the transmitter's + & - ?
ive tried that and also across the resistor
You're running generic HART (URV, LRV) or the communicators have the DD installed?
im not sure about this, but I know for a fact that this device should communicate with either the 375 or a laptop with ams/engineering assistant software and the 232 to hart comm modem.

see above answers

hartloop.JPG

ive tried these, only other conclusion I can come to grip with would be some kind of frequency interference or a problem wit the device.

There are different version of the 3095. There is the 3095MV which supports Hart protocol. There is the 3095FB which has Modbus protocol only and its own software. I think there might be a couple others too.
Double check the complete part number.

yeah I am aware of all of them, because I work with all of them. the 3095 mfc is a mass flow computer that has a 3095 mv built onto a orifice plate. it is definitely a hart device, there is no question at all about that.

1) I use a MacTek serial HART modem which has a utility that connects to the HART device, independent of the software, to confirm that the modem can 'see' the HART device.

I don't have a PC here with the driver loaded onto it to see its name, but the utility shows up in the Windows listing of programs in the modem's folder.

Does your HART modem have a similar utility?

2) The HART communicator has to have a specific file, called a Device Descriptor, or DD, installed in order to do anything more than a set of generic commands, like LRV, URV, eng. units., tag name, and a couple others.

But it sounds like you have no recognition of the device, not that you can't read the tertiary variable, right?

apparently it was a problem with ac ripple voltage on the loop. you need 150 mv or less of ac ripple voltage for hart communications to work right. JUst a FYI.
I still cant get the hart modem on my laptop to work though.:mad: