Local/Remote solution

nhicks

Im looking into a project for a customer, and would like to entertain ideas.
I have a load bank for generator testing.
I need to have the following:
Remote:
7 load step switches
7 load step lights
Master Load switch
Local/Remote switch
Panel In Control light
Over Temp Light
Load Dump Active Light
Digital metering (8 variables polled from the generator)

Local Panel:
Same things as above, with exception of Local/Remote switch

The meter/display needs to display the same thing on both sides. If one side is turning load switches on, the other side needs to also show the Load Step Lights that correspond. Only 1 panel can control at a time. Need to read the variables on either side at any time.

We could hardwire all the switches and lights, and put another meter in the 2nd box, and it would work. I am just trying to find some creative ways to work around running about 30 wires.

We do not know the distance, but would assume its within 2000-3000 feet, and its a straight run, no repeaters/hubs etc.
Our touchscreens are typically EzTouch, and in the past we used Twido PLC's. If at all possible, I want to stay with our new standard, Micrologix 1200, dual com port. Using touchscreens on either side is an option, is both can be working at the same time.

Any ideas or suggestions would be great!

NH

To the top...
Anyone have any ideas?

Looking around last night, I was thinking of a DH485 token ring network. But I also have a RS485 Modbus out device that needs to be read on the DH485 network... Does anyone have any decent cheap converters in mind?

Thanks

Mr. Hicks,

It appears that you will require 9 inputs / 10 outputs for the remote panel. Then there would be one additional input and output for the local panel controller.

You had mentioned polling from the generator, how is that information going to be acquired by the PLC? Is it serially, or through I/O (analog or digital)

Data can be acquired by one PLC and transferred to the other PLC through whatever method of communications that PLC supports.

You may want to consider a wireless connection between both locations. Two serial ports would still be required...one for the screen and one for the serial to wireless transmitter / receiver. Max Stream offers a server / client configuration set up that we have tested with our controllers that seem to work.

I would think just about any PLC whould be sufficient for your application.

Hope this helps.

God Bless,

Thanks for the response Stephen.
Both the local and remote sides will have the lights and switches. Just teh remote side will have one additional (local/remote), for control of the unit. The data polling will come from either an Elkor Power Transducer, or a Multitek DMM with Modbus RS485 output.
I can write some more soon, I think we found our solution using the DH485 and the Net AIC's. We would bring the CTXD into the second COM port of the PLC.

Thanks